Train the Trainer Retreat (T3)
for Navigating Difference:
Cultural Competency Training For Outreach Professionals
The Train the Trainer (T3) retreat is designed for outreach professionals who wish to conduct the Navigating Difference training in their own communities or states. All potential trainers must have completed the full Navigating Difference training before attending the Train the Trainer Retreat. (For next Navigating Difference training please see: http://extension.wsu.edu/diversity/navigating-difference-training/
When: September 13 – 15, 2016, 9 a.m. – 4:30 p.m. daily
Where: Talaris Conference Center, Seattle, WA: http://www.talarisconferencecenter.com/
Registration Fee: $650 for WSU; $1050 for non-WSU
Cost includes: 20 plus hours of training, Navigating Difference training manual, Intercultural Conflict Style Inventory and Facilitator Guide, Textbook: The Art of Diversity Training, 3 breakfasts, 3 lunches, and 6 beverage breaks.
Registration now open! A minimum of 8 participants will be required and there is a maximum of 15.
Trainers are: Mary Katherine Deen, Merrianneeta Nesbitt and Louise Parker
Lodging Options: You are responsible for making your own lodging reservations. Listed below are two options for lodging that are convenient.
4000 NE 41st ST. Seattle, WA 98105-5428
Details on the accommodations can be found at: http://talarisconferencecenter.com/seattle_lodging_amenities.php
A code has been set up for the hotel rooms at Talaris, so please call in to the front desk directly and use the “WSU Workshop” as a code to receive the special $159 rate. This rate will not be available if you book online. The front desk line is 206-268-7000.
Silver Cloud Inn – University District
5036 25th Ave. ND Seattle, WA 98105
Conveniently located just one mile from the Talaris Conference Center hotel shuttles are available to transport you to and from Talaris during your stay. Each of the guestrooms and suites have complimentary wired and wireless high-speed Internet access, microwaves, and refrigerators. Our complimentary Silver Cloud Breakfast is offered daily in addition to our new expanded fitness and business centers. The hotel has a year round indoor pool and spa.
- Assess and focus on areas of competence and effectiveness as a diversity trainer.
- Become grounded in the theoretical models that are the foundation of the cultural competencies.
- Practice conducting and debriefing activities in the Navigating Difference
- Understand and agree to WSUE Navigating Difference Training Policies and Procedures.
Navigating Difference Train the Trainer Policies: As a participant in the Train the Trainer Retreat for WSU Extension’s Navigating Difference curriculum, I understand that:
- I have participated in the full Navigating Difference Training (18 hours).
- I will be expected to attend the entire T3 retreat.
- I will be expected to complete assigned readings.
- I will provide feedback to the Navigating Difference curriculum designers on T3 content, materials and training processes through a post-session evaluation and follow-up surveys.
- I will only be certified by WSU Extension as a trainer for the Navigating Difference curriculum as designed. Any adapted version must be approved by the Navigating Difference
- I will be expected to co-train with an experienced Navigating Difference trainer as a first step to offering the training in Washington state (note: applies only to WSU Extension participants).
- This certification applies only to Navigating Difference, not to other diversity curriculums.