Train the Trainer Retreat (T-3)
for Navigating Difference:
Cultural Competency Training For Outreach Professionals
The Train the Trainer (T3) retreat is designed for outreach professionals who wish to conduct the Navigating Difference training in their own communities or states. All potential trainers must have completed the full Navigating Difference training before attending the Train the Trainer Retreat. (For next Navigating Difference training please see: http://extension.wsu.edu/diversity/navigating-difference-training/
When: November 14-16, 2017 | 9:00 am to 4:00 pm daily
Where: Talaris Conference Center, Seattle, WA http://www.talariscc.com
Trainers: Mary Katherine Deen and Merrianneeta Nesbitt, WSU Navigating Difference Trainers.
Registration: CLOSES November 1, 2017 (or when registration is full). A maximum of 15 participants will be accepted to enroll in the training.
Cost: WSU $700 | Non-WSU $1,100
Cost includes: 20 plus hours of training, Navigating Difference Training Manual, Intercultural Conflict Style Inventory and Facilitator Guide, Textbook: The Art of Diversity Training, 3 breakfasts, 3 lunches, and 6 beverage breaks.
Lodging Options: You are responsible for making your own lodging reservations. Listed below are two options for lodging that are convenient.
Talaris Conference Center
4000 NE 41st ST. Seattle, WA 98105-5428
Details on the accommodations can be found at: http://www.talariscc.com/seattle_lodging_amenities.php
A code has been set up for the hotel rooms at Talaris, so please call in to the front desk directly at 206-268-7000 and use the “WSU Navigating Difference” as a code to receive the special $129 rate. This rate will not be available if you book online.
Silver Cloud Inn – University District
5036 25th Ave. NE Seattle, WA 98105
Conveniently located just one mile from the Talaris Conference Center, hotel shuttles are available to transport guests to and from Talaris during their stay. Each of the guestrooms and suites has complimentary wired and wireless high-speed Internet access, microwave ovens, and refrigerators. A complimentary Silver Cloud Breakfast is offered daily in addition to the newly expanded fitness and business centers. The hotel has a year round indoor pool and spa.
- Assess and focus on areas of competence and effectiveness as a diversity trainer.
- Become grounded in the theoretical models that are the foundation of the cultural competencies.
- Practice conducting and debriefing activities in the Navigating Difference Training.
- Understand and agree to WSUE Navigating Difference Training Policies and Procedures.
Navigating Difference Train the Trainer Policies: As a participant in the Train the Trainer Retreat for WSU Extension’s Navigating Difference curriculum, I understand that:
- I have completed participation in the full Navigating Difference Training (18 hours).
- I will be expected to attend the entire T3 retreat.
- I will be expected to complete assigned readings.
- I will provide feedback to the Navigating Difference curriculum designers on T3 content, materials and training processes through a post-session evaluation and follow-up surveys.
- I will only be certified by WSU as a trainer for the Navigating Difference curriculum as designed. Any adapted version must be approved by the Navigating Difference State Leadership Team.
- I will be expected to co-train with an experienced Navigating Difference trainer as a first step to offering the training in Washington state (note: applies only to WSU participants).
- This certification applies only to Navigating Difference, not to other diversity curriculums.