The WSU-WISE (Water Irrigation Systems Efficiency) program in Ferry County seeks to educate Washington State farmers about cost-effective equipment and practices that increase irrigation efficiency. Developed by Washington State University, the Irrigation Scheduler Mobile is an electronic irrigation assistance program that facilitates optimum irrigation practices. Farmers enter the crop and soil type and key into the nearest 2 of the nearly 175 weather stations. Based on present and historical weather data, the program algorithm alerts farmers to the irrigation needs of that particular crop in that particular site, reducing overwatering.
WSU-WISE assists farmers by:
- Conducting tutorials in the enrollment and use of Irrigation Scheduler Mobile
- Delivering interactive on-farm workshops showcasing the benefits of Irrigation Scheduler Mobile on irrigation efficiency and crop health
- Helping in selecting efficient irrigation solutions
- Conduct on-farm irrigation efficiency audits and provide a report of current irrigation water loss with tailored recommendations for increasing irrigation efficiencies
- Provide technical support for farmers seeking to offset the cost of irrigation efficiency upgrades through EQIP grants
Through WSU-WISE, training from the soil and irrigation experts at the Irrigation Training and Research Center (ITRC) brings expert resources locally. If you would like a free soil and irrigation assessment, call the Extension Office at 775-5225 x1116 or email us with your name and contact information.
For more information about WSU WISE and the AgWeatherNet station in Ferry County click here.