It’s Easy in Island County
Island County encourages and rewards recycling by not charging a disposal fee for most recyclables. Recycling is simply taking one product and turning it into another. The more we recycle, the more we save space in landfills and reduce the consumption of trees, minerals and other resources required to make new products.
City of Oak Harbor – Curbside recycling is available to all single-family homes as part of their garbage pick-up service.
Naval Air Station – NAS Whidbey Recycling (For customers that have access to the base) 3485 Langley Blvd, NAS Whidbey, (360)257-6922
Camano Island – Curbside recycling is available to all single-family homes as part of their garbage pick-up service provided by Waste Management, Inc.
Self-sorting and hauling of recyclables
Recycle categories include:
- Mixed Paper
- Junk mail, envelopes,
- Computer, copier and school paper, file folders
- Magazines, phonebooks
- wrapping paper, greeting cards
- Aluminum cans
- Glass – clear, brown, all other (bottles and jars)
- Motor oil
- Foam-type carpet pad (Coupeville Transfer Station only – Map)
- Scrap metal
- No appliances containing freon refrigerant.
- Bottles and tubs only — no lids.
- E-waste (Oak Harbor Drop Box Station – Map, Coupeville Transfer Station – Map, and Island Recycling at Freeland – Map)
- Computer towers
- Laptop computers
- No keyboards or mouse pointers
- Used Clothes
- Look for blue boxes at all recycling centers.