The FIELD program instructional team is composed of WSU Extension staff, host farm mentors and community teaching partners.
2016 Host Farms
All Jefferson county farms are eligible to become FIELD host farms. For more information about Host Farm requirements please visit the Cultivating Success Farmer Mentor website. The following farms have committed to hosting interns during the 2016 season.
Janet Aubin & Jeff Horwath, Farm Managers and Farmer Mentors
Finnriver Farm is an organic family farm and an artisan winery producing handcrafted hard ciders and fruit wines. They farm and ferment on 33 acres along a restored salmon stream in the Chimacum Valley. Finnriver Farm & Cidery is certified salmon safe and we are committed to wise land stewardship through organic agriculture, conservation easements, habitat restoration and community outreach.
Rachel Van Laanen & Scott Brinton, farm mentors
Mystery bay Farm is a small scale family farm on 5 acres on Marrowstone Island offering WSDA certified goat milk, cheese and yogurt as well as hosting a variety of tours and classes for the public.
2016 FIELD Team
- Dr. Laura Lewis, Ph.D., WSU County Extension Director
- Kellie Henwood, Regional Small Farms Coordinator
- Janet Aubin, Finnriver Farm & Cidery, Germplasm: fruit plants for the PNW, natural history, soil structure & ecology
- Jeff Horwath, Finnriver Farm & Cidery, Germplasm: fruit plants for the PNW
- Rachel Van Laanen & Scott Brinton, Mystery Bay Creamery, Micro-dairy operations & cheese making
- Crystie Kisler, Finnriver Farm & Cidery, Agritourism & customer service (named Business Leader of the year for 2014)
- Keith Kisler, Finnriver Farm & Cidery, Cider & fruit beverage production, cider orchard management
- Dr. Doug Collins, Ph.D., WSU, Soil Science
- Dr. Chris Benedict, Ph.D., WSU, Cover Crops and Soil Science
- Dr. Andy Bary, Ph.D., WSU, Composting and Soil Science
- Dr. Susan Kerr, Ph.D., WSU, Regional livestock veterinarian
- Steve Habersetzer & Jadyne Reichner, Oatsplanter Farm, seed breeding and saving, alternative energy, tool care
- Amanda Milholland, Jefferson County Farmer’s Market Association, marketing
- Meghan Mix, SpringRain Farm and Orchards, marketing
- Marko Colby and Hanako Myers, Midori Farm, organic greenhouse vegetable starts production and management
- Laurie McKenzie and Micaela Colley, Organic Seed Alliance
For more information about the FIELD program please contact the FIELD Coordinator at email@example.com or 360.379.5610 ext. 201.