Beach Naturalists is for people who want to discover and explore our shorelines and the sea life that call them home. Nearly surrounded by water, the Kitsap Peninsula is an amazing and unique place to learn about the cool critters like sea stars, clams, and crabs, as well as the birds, seaweeds, and plants that live on our beaches.
This six-week class is offered Thursday evenings April 12 – May 10, 2018 from 6pm-9pm at the SEA Discovery Center in Poulsbo, WA. There will also be the following field trips associated with the training during these dates and times:
Thursday 4/19 from 1-3pm
Saturday 4/21 from 3-5pm
Thursday 5/3 from 1-3pm
Saturday 5/5 from 2-4pm
Thursday 5/17 from Noon-2pm
Register here. This class is open to the public, is taught by local and regional experts, and covers topics such as:
- Invertebrates and seaweeds
- Birds and bugs
- Shoreline conservation & restoration
- Shoreline living
- Salish Sea oceanography
- Interpretative skills
After this training we will provide and connect you with opportunities to volunteer around Kitsap County. Beach Naturalist volunteer events include acting as a naturalist for community beach explorations and children’s field trips, conducting beach profiles, monitoring sea stars, and offering outreach at local events.
Can’t make it to the 2018 training? Click here to sign up to be notified of 2019 training dates.
Here are some resources to get you started exploring Kitsap’s beaches:
- Sound Water Stewards Identification and Information
- Topical Research Studies
- Encyclopedia of Puget Sound
- Explore our Puget Sound Beaches
- Marine Riparian Areas: These Important Nearshore Environments Offer a Wealth of Functions and Benefits
- Gathering Safe Shellfish in Washington
- Bivalves for Clean Water
- Ocean Acidification in Washington State
- Aquatic Invasive Species: A Guide to Least-Wanted Aquatic Organisms of the Pacific Northwest
- On the Lookout for Aquatic Invaders: Identification Guide for the West
- Tips to Refuel Boats Safely
- Scooping the Poop
Find the Kitsap Beach Watchers and Beach Naturalists on Facebook:
Teachers and Leaders: Request Beach Walk Volunteers Here
Are you interested in joining us for the next Beach Naturalists training? Sign up to be notified when the next training is scheduled!
Join our newsletter for updates and news about our Beach Naturalists and Stream Stewards programs!Sign Up Now!