This curriculum was developed by the University of Maryland Extension; Food Supplement Nutrition Education Program (FSNE). It is a six to eight lesson series for 4th and 5th grade classrooms. Refresh encourages students to consume more fruits, vegetables and whole grains and to be more physically active through activities, food preparation and tastings. Students explore and examine healthy eating behaviors within the context of their family, the local food system and food marketing.
Topics and activities include:
- Family meal planning
- Finding affordable and fresh produce locally
- Critical thinking around food advertising
- Washington state commodities
- Nutrition Facts label reading and decision making
- Food preparation (depending on district) and tasting
- Creating a classroom “Think Your Drink” display
Fall 2015 Schedule by District
- Bethel School District
- Clover Park School District
- Franklin Pierce School District
- Tacoma School District
- Sumner School District
USDA is an equal opportunity provider and employer. This material was funded by USDA’s Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program. SNAP. The Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP) provides nutrition assistance to people with low income. It can help you buy nutritious foods for a better diet. To find out more, contact: http://foodhelp.wa.gov or the Basic Food Program at: 1 877 501 2233.