Welcome to our Extension Food Preservation page! Here you’ll find a wealth of resources to get you on your way to preserving your healthy bounty, and doing so in in a safe way. Whether you are new to food preservation, or have been preserving food for many years, our goal is to provide you with helpful recipes, and trusted sources of publications and literature.
Safe Canning Books
- The Ball Blue Book – please use 1989 or newer.
- The Ball Complete Book of Home Preserving by Judy Kingry & Lauren Devine
- So Easy to Preserve – Book, $18 The University of Georgia
WSU Extension Publications
Click the links below for a free, printable PDF.
- Using & Caring for Your Pressure Canner PNW0421
- Canning Fruits PNW0199
- Canning Meat, Poultry & Game PNW0361
- Canning Seafood PNW0194
- Salsa Recipes for Canning PNW0395
- Recetas Para el Envasado de Salsas PNW03955
- Home Canning Smoked Fish PNW0450
- Canning Tomatoes & Tomato Products PNW0300
- Canning Vegetables PNW0172
- Freezing Fruits & Vegetables PNW0214
- Pickled Eggs EB1104
- Pickling Vegetables PNW0355
- Smoking Fish at Home Safely PNW238
Would you like to learn more about Home Food Preservation?
WSU offers a comprehensive 8-class online food preservation program.
Lesson Series Cost: $25
Lesson 1: Intro to Food Preservation
Lesson 2: Canning Basics
Lesson 3: Canning Acid Foods
Lesson 4: Canning Low Acid Foods
Lesson 5: Pickled & Fermented Foods
Lesson 6: Making & Preserving Fruit Spreads
Lesson 7: Frozen & Refrigerated Foods
Lesson 8: Drying Foods