4-H empowers youth to reach their full potential, working and learning in partnership with caring adults. “4-H works to foster life skills, leadership, and volunteerism in youth and adults.”
- Provide experience-based learning opportunities that focus on community.
- Help young people develop skills that will benefit them throughout their lives.
- Build partnerships within communities to help develop 4-H programs and support funding.
The Goal of 4-H
Positive youth development is the goal of 4-H. It doesn’t matter what project the 4-H’er takes; the project serves as the vehicle to learn basic life skills. Our ultimate goal is for the 4-H member to develop the positive personal assets needed to live successfully in a diverse and changing world.
- Acquire knowledge, skills, and attitudes for a satisfying home and family life.
- Enjoy a useful work experience, together with responsibility and satisfaction of personal accomplishments.
- Develop leadership talents and abilities to reach optimum citizenship potential.
- Appreciate the values of research and learn scientific methods of making decisions and solving problems.
4-H is designed to support the positive and successful development of all youth. As a 4-H volunteer leader, you are an essential partner in creating a positive environment by providing positive ways for youth to meet their basic needs. The essential elements that you, as a volunteer, can provide are:
The unique part of 4-H is the experiential learning process, or “learning by doing.” You can tell or show members how to do something, but the actual experience of doing it themselves is the best way to reinforce learning.