The “Grade” for 4-H Fair Entries is the grade the 4-H member was in on January 1st. of the
|Primary||K – 2nd|
|Junior||3rd – 5th|
|Intermediate||6th – 8th|
|Senior||9th – 12th.|
4-H Members must be in the 3rd grade or higher (Oct. `09 – June `12 for this year) AND have reached their 8th birthday by January 1 (2012) to be eligible for:
Competitive situations, including livestock shows or sales
Enrollment in large animal projects including beef, dairy, goat, equine, sheep
llama, and swine
- Primary members may enroll in pygmy goat and participate in non-competitive situations. (i.e. participation ribbon only at Fair)
- Primary members may enroll in the “Horseless Horse Project” & can participate in non-competitive situations but they can not handle live horses at 4-H events.
- Enrollment in food preservation projects using hot water bath or pressure canning.
What this means:
- Primary youth may enter 4-H class/division exhibits for their enrolled 4-H projects.
- Primary 4-H exhibits can NOT receive Danish System Awards (Blue, Red, White) or Best of Show Awards.
- Primary 4-H youth may receive participation recognition.
Refer to EM0758 “Washington State 4-H Youth Development Program Policy”
For more information on 4-H membership, animal ownership deadlines, showing horned animals, showing unaltered male animals, volunteer policies and more!