Health & Wellness
FOOD SAFETY & PRESERVATION
During the growing and harvesting season, you can obtain many varieties of fruits and vegetables. Home food preservation can help make fruits, vegetables and food budgets last longer.
When canning home-preserved foods use research-based, laboratory tested, up-to-date recipes from the resources on this page and in this brochure: WSU Extension Food Preservation Resources Brochure #C1117E
- USDA Complete Guide to Home Canning
- Steps in Food Preservation (video)
- So Easy to Preserve –The Book
- Ball Canning and Preserving
- National Center for Home Food Preservation (based at the University of Georgia)
- Recommended Canners
- Food Safety in an Emergency
- Is the Food Still Safe When the Power Goes Out?
- USDA Dietary Guidelines for Americans
- Frequently Asked Questions – National Center for Home Food Preservation
- WSU Extension food preservation & food safety fact sheets
|EB1490||Pack a Safe Lunch|
|EB1868||Safe Food for Children|
|Order||G0248||A Quick Consumer Guide to Safe Food Handling|
|MISC0275||Food Safety During Your Pregnancy|
|MISC0512||Now You’re Cooking…Using a Food Thermometer Recipes|
|MISC0513||Now You’re Cooking…Using a Food Thermometer Brochure|
|PNW0250||You Can Prevent Foodborne Illness|
|PNW0539||Fresh Cheese Made Safely|
|CIS0850||Controlling Stored Food Pests in the Home|
|EB1205||Storing Foods at Home|
|EB1326||Storing Vegetables and Fruits at Home|
|PNW0612||Storing Food for Safety and Quality|
Some WSU Extension web sites provide links to external sites for the convenience of users. These external sites are not managed by the WSU Extension. Furthermore, WSU Extension does not review, control or take responsibility for the content of these sites, nor do these sites implicitly or explicitly represent official positions and policies of WSU Extension.
WSU Extension programs are offered without regard to race; sex; religion; age; color; creed; national or ethnic origin; physical, mental or sensory disability; marital status; sexual orientation; and/or status as a Vietnam-era or disabled veteran. Persons with a disability requiring special accommodations while participating in this program may call 1-509-447-2401 at least 14 days before the program.