Growing Groceries: Good Bugs, Bad Bugs, & Pollinators
March 20, 2019 @ 7:00 pm - 9:30 pm
Did you know that less than 1% of the insect species in the world are the so-called bad bugs that eat us, our livestock, and/or our food? The other 99% are necessary to keeping a healthy environment in our gardens. They help pollinate our crops, eat the bad bugs, and help keep our gardens healthy in many ways. Our ‘bugs’ class will introduce you to the myriad insects that inhabit our gardens. Learn who’s who and how to put the good guys to work!
Dave Pehling, Pest Management Specialist with the WSU Snohomish County Extension and a local beekeeper, will show you how to know the good from the bad and how to encourage those ever-important pollinators and other beneficial insects to our gardens.
Diane Decker-Ihle, Master Gardener and Growing Groceries Instructor, will focus on cultural and physical techniques to prevent disease and pests from damaging our garden crops using scientifically-proven sustainable practices.
No matter if you only have a tiny apartment deck, small garden space, or plenty of acreage you can grow fresh, healthy food in a healthier, more environmentally friendly way.
The WSU Snohomish County Growing Groceries program brings beginning and experienced gardeners together with speakers and topics focused on growing healthy food using sustainable gardening practices.
Developed over the last several years, the program’s goal is to increase our communities’ access to fresh, healthy food by teaching the latest research-based techniques for growing food.
WSU Extension programs and employment are available to all without discrimination. Evidence of noncompliance may be reported through your local extension office. Reasonable accommodations will be made for persons with disabilities and special needs; contact WSU Extension at 425-338-2400 at least two weeks prior to the event.
WSU Snohomish County Extension
600 – 128th Street SE (McCollum Park)
Everett, WA 98208
Take just the classes you want at $20 per class per person.
Or…Save and take all ten Growing Groceries classes for $175.