It is important to keep raw meat away from other food. Tips to avoid cross contamination:
- Wash hands after handling raw meat.
- Wash and sanitize all food-contact surfaces that touch raw meat.
- Prepare raw meat in an area away from other foods.
- Use a separate cutting board for raw meat.
- Store raw meat below other foods in the refrigerator.
- Store meat with a higher cooking temperature (like chicken) below meat with a lower cooking temperature (like fish).
|Food & Produce Safety at WSU|
|Safe Minimum Internal Temperature Chart|
|Food Recall Information|
|National Center for Home Food Preservation|
|USDA Food Safety and Inspection Service|
|Centers for Disease Control|
Note: Some WSU Extension web sites provide links to external sites for the convenience of users. These external sites are not managed by the WSU Extension. Furthermore, WSU Extension does not review, control or take responsibility for the content of these sites, nor do these sites implicitly or explicitly represent official positions and policies of WSU Extension.