Welcome to the Area Health Education Center
As a part of WSU Extension, the Area Health Education Center (AHEC) of Eastern Washington works with university and community allies to promote health and wellness for underserved and at-risk populations through research, education, and community development.
It belongs to a network of AHEC organizations throughout the United States that focuses on health professions education and training, as well as the recruitment and retention of health care providers.
To promote health and wellness for underserved and at-risk populations through research, education, and community development (AHEC brochure, PDF).
Research & Evaluation
A primary focus of AHEC in eastern Washington is research and evaluation for area health and wellness programs. An outreach unit of the health science programs at WSU Spokane, AHEC faculty and staff conduct research to:
- Foster long-term success in early learning and K–12 education,
- Evaluate mental and behavioral programs, and
- Build understanding of the lasting effects of traumatic childhood experiences.
Community Development & Capacity Building
AHEC is actively involved in helping area communities develop their capacity to provide health services to their residents—especially those who are underserved and/or at risk. AHEC works to:
- Build strong rural health systems,
- Recruit and retain quality health care providers, and
- Work with community leaders and stakeholders to improve existing programs, especially those addressing issues surrounding at-risk youth and K–12 capacity-building.
Education & Training
Enhancing the professional education opportunities for health care providers is a key mission of AHEC. Specifically, AHEC works to:
- Engage health care providers of tomorrow by providing hands-on experiences to students in rural and underserved areas,
- Offer continuing education for health care providers and educators, and
- Train health and education providers on how to deal with childhood trauma and behavioral health challenges.
Health Care Resource Guide
The 2012 edition of the Health Care Resource Guide, for health care providers serving the underserved and uninsured of Spokane County, is now available.
The Spokane Medical Clinics Committee and the Area Health Education Center of Eastern Washington provide the brochure as a service.