WSU Business, Policies and Procedures Manual: Pesticide Policy
New Hire Checklist
Pesticide Policy Training Modules
- Module 1: Overview.1 This 2016 training module has various media including two videos, two podcasts, and many informational posts for you to choose from. The module takes approximately 10 minutes, and should be viewed by all WSU employees working with or recommending pesticides.
- Module 2: Organic Systems.1 This 2016 training module has various media including three videos, three podcasts, and many informational posts for you to choose from. It takes approximately 15 minutes, and should be viewed by all WSU employees working in organic systems.
- Module 3: Experimental Use Pesticides.1 This 2016 training module has various media including three videos, three podcasts, and many informational posts for you to choose from. It takes approximately 15 minutes, and should be viewed by all WSU employees working with experimental pesticides or experimental uses of registered pesticides.
- Master Gardener Volunteer Training. This 2013 webinar runs approximately 25 minutes and should be viewed by all MG volunteers.
Worker Protection Standard (WPS) Training
Current status of EPA’s Agricultural Worker Protection Standards (WPS):
- Continue to train to the requirements in the 2015 rule (annual worker and handler training, recordkeeping); the 2018 training requirement is delayed. Growers/foresters can keep using the same “approved” training materials from 2016.
- WSDA Compliance will only be enforcing the original 1994 rule.
An EPA-approved online course to help employers of agricultural pesticides train workers to meet the new training requirements of the 2015 revised federal Worker Protection Standard is available. This free course provides information required to train those who will train workers under WPS. It will guide trainers through the necessary procedures to provide workers with required information on how to avoid exposure to pesticides and pesticide residue. This course is offered in five units and will require approximately 1 – 2 hours to complete. Convenient, user-friendly units can be completed at a time that fits the employer’s schedule. Upon successful completion of the final exam, employers will be qualified as WPS worker trainers by the EPA.
The Pesticide Educational Resources Collaborative (PERC) has published the WPS Respiratory Protection Guide: Requirements for Employers of Pesticide Handlers (pdf). PERC is a new cooperative agreement between the EPA’s Office of Pesticide Programs and University of California Davis Extension, in collaboration with Oregon State University. This guide meets the requirements of the revised 2015 Worker Protection Standard.
These PERC videos satisfy the pesticide safety training requirement for workers under the revised WPS.
This English-language WSU video satisfies pesticide safety training of greenhouse WPS workers
Pesticide Safety Education
WSDA Pesticide License