39th Annual Food Safety and Sanitation Workshop Proposed Agenda*
Please visit our website for additional workshop information and online registration: https://extension.wsu.edu/foodsanitation/
Tuesday, November 5, 2019
8:15 am General Sessions I – Food Safety Compliance: The Need for Agile Science Throughout the Supply Chain! – Alex Mendes, PepsiCo, Inc.
10:15 am Workshop Session I
- Chemical Supplier Panel Discussion – Moderator: Don Jones, Grand Rapids, MI
- Session 1: AFCO/ZEP, Shepard Bros., Wesmar, and DuBois
- Session 2: ChemStation, ClorDiSys, Ecolab, and Rochester Midland Corp
- Recalls after FSMA – Where Do We Stand? – Charles Breen, CMBreen LLC, Seattle, WA
- ^Basic Food Microbiology – Nina Parkinson, NGP Consulting, Brentwood, CA
- Listeria Has Not Gone Away – Tom Fahey, DeVere, Parkville, MO
- Use of IT for Managing Food Safety Systems – Jeremy Leavitt, Borton Fruit, Yakima, WA
11:15 am Repeat Workshop Session I
1:15 pm General Session II – An Open Dialogue on Food Defense – Solutions, Requirements & Next Steps – Jason Bashura, PepsiCo, Inc. & Joe Graham, WA Dept. of Health
2:50 pm Workshop Session II
- ^Cleaning for Food Safety: Best Practices – Don Jones, Grand Rapids, MI
- Behaviors of Rodents: Watch and Learn – Ashley Roden, Sprague Pest Solutions, Tacoma, WA
- ^Hand Hygiene: Higher Expectations for the Food Industry – Ron Shepard, Shepard Brothers, Inc., La Habra, CA
- Implementing GFSI Requirements in Non-Traditional Food Production Environments – John Boyce, Trident Seafoods, Seattle, WA
- Preventive Controls Inspections from a State Regulator’s Perspective – Dan Mason, WSDA, Olympia, WA
3:50 pm Repeat Workshop Session II
5:00 pm Cheese and Wine Reception & Top 5 Line Worker Award Nominees Announced
Wednesday, November 6, 2019
8:30 am General Session III – Learning from the Initial Years of FSMA Implementation – Miriam Burbach, FDA Seattle District Bothell, WA
10:15 am Workshop Session III
- Making the Match: Successful Companies are Fighting for Talent – Ron Shepard, Shepard Brothers, La Habra, CA
- Animal Food PC Inspections – Michael Schuette, FDA Seattle District Bothell, WA
- ^Choosing an Effective Sanitizer – Don Jones, Grand Rapids, MI
- Lessons learned from Recall Claims – Larry Bailey, Zurich Services Corporation, Seattle, WA
- ^Spanish Tracks: Cómo Escojer un Desinfectante Efectivo (How to Choose an Effective Sanitizer) &/or Fundamentos de Limpieza (Basics of Cleaning) – Jesus Heredia, Wesmar, Lynnwood, WA
11:15 am Repeat Workshop Session III
1:15 pm General Session IV – Our Herculean Effort in Food Safety – Darin Detwiler, Boston, MA
2:15 pm Closing Remarks & Line Worker Award Ceremony
* Any portion of the proposed agenda is subject to change.
^ Denotes basic workshop session.
Contact Cathy Blood (firstname.lastname@example.org or 509-335-2845) for registration questions.
Contact Girish Ganjyal (email@example.com or 509-335-5613) for any questions regarding workshop content.