WSU Jefferson County Extension’s Statement on COVID-19
Owing to the COVID-19 pandemic, the Jefferson County Extension Office is currently closed to the public and all Extension programming is being delivered virtually, postponed or cancelled. We are supporting efforts to keep our communities safe and healthy and monitoring guidance from local, state and federal officials. We will re-open the office when it is safe to do so. Staff is available via email, telephone and video-conference.
Please take care of yourselves and each other. We will see you soon.
In response to the rapidly evolving events surrounding COVID-19 (also called novel coronavirus), WSU and Jefferson County are following guidance from local health departments, the State Department of Health and the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) regarding large gatherings, including CDC recommendations on preventing the spread of COVID-19.
The county public health office is the most reliable source of local information on this topic. Here is the link to their COVID-19 related updates:
Along with the public health office recommendations, please know the following:
- An effective strategy for minimizing the spread of the virus is greater social distancing, which can include more effective use of technology. WSU Extension is requiring alternatives, such as phone calls or Zoom videoconferences in place of face-to-face meetings.
- Please contact us in advance during regular business hours if you anticipate needing assistance connecting via Zoom.
- Anyone who is sick or exhibiting signs of illness should stay home.
- Currently, older adults and persons with underlying health conditions are considered to be at increased risk of severe illness and complications from COVID-19. Examples of underlying health conditions include heart disease, lung disease, diabetes, people with weakened immune systems, and people who are pregnant. The CDC recommends that people in high-risk groups consult with their healthcare provider about attending any large gathering.
- Follow preventive hygiene guidance, including washing your hands often with soap and water for at least 20 seconds, avoiding touching your face with unwashed hands, and use hand sanitizer if you can’t wash. If you have to cough or sneeze, do so into your sleeve or a tissue, which you then throw away. Clean and disinfect shared surfaces and objects that are touched frequently.
For any assistance regarding WSU Jefferson County Extension programs during this time, please note the following contacts:
- Cliff Moore, Director/Community and Economic Development email@example.com, 360.379.5610, ext 202
- Bridget Gregg, Master Gardener Program Coordinator – firstname.lastname@example.org, 360.379.5610, ext 210
- Samantha Smith, 4-H Program Coordinator – email@example.com, 360.379.5610, ext 208
- Kellie Henwood, Regional Small Farms Coordinator – firstname.lastname@example.org, 360.379.5610, ext 201
- Bob Simmons, Regional Faculty Natural & Water Resources – email@example.com, 360.379.5610, ext 207
- Monica Montgomery, Water Programs Coordinator – firstname.lastname@example.org, 360.379.5610, ext 230
- Joost Besijn, Noxious Weed Control – email@example.com, 379.5610, ext 205
- Su Tipton, Administrative Assistant-Lead – firstname.lastname@example.org, 379.5610, ext 206
Thank you and take care of yourselves and each other. We will see you soon.
Connecting People, Resources and Knowledge
WSU JEFFERSON COUNTY EXTENSION programs connect the people and communities of Jefferson County with the knowledge base of Washington State University to promote quality of life and advance economic well-being through fostering inquiry, learning, and the application of research.
Washington State University educators work with partners in the communities to provide educational programs and leverage the broad resources of a major university to resolve issues and create a positive future for the residents of Jefferson County.
Our programs are listed below, with contact information at the top of each page. You can download an informational program guide here – WSU Jefferson Co Extension Programs Overview