Requirements to Participate in a WSDA Train-the-Trainer Program
We appreciate your interest in WSDA’s Train-the-Trainer program. To conduct a WPS-compliant agricultural worker or pesticide handler training, the individual must comply with at lease one of the following criteria. The individual must:
- Be currently certified as an applicator of restricted-use pesticides, or
- Be currently designated as a trainer of certified applicators or pesticide handlers by Washington State Department of Agriculture (WSDA), or
- Have completed a pesticide safety train-the-trainer program approved by the WSDA.
As a prerequisite to become certified, an unlicensed individual must have attended a WSDA-conducted WPS Handler Training workshop within two years from the intended date of the Train-the-Trainer program.
To become certified, an the attendee must successfully complete the two-day Train-the-Trainer program, which includes passing a knowledge assessment with at least an 80% score and completing a 5-minute presentation during which the trainee will instruct on a training point using training methodology demonstrated and practiced during the program.
Only individuals who have successfully completed the WSDA Train-the-Trainer program may issue WPS Worker and WPS Handler verification cards.
A condensed agenda for the Train-the-Trainer program follows:
- Basic Pesticide Information
- Pre-training and Training Process
- Overview of WPS Requirements
- Training Methodology
- WPS Training Requirements for Workers
- WPS Training Requirements for Handlers
- Assessment Evaluation and Mock Training Presentations
Please Note: The Train-the-Trainer program is not and extensive training on the WPS. Instead, the trainee will become familiar with training methodology and will develop instructional skills that will be used to convey the WPS requirements to agricultural workers and pesticide handlers.
Total Course Fee
$50 per person
No cash accepted, only check, money order or cashier’s check is accepted. Payment information is found in the registration.
If WSU Skagit County Extension needs to cancel the course, you will be reimbursed in the following way:
- If you paid using a check or money order, a full refund will be issued back.
- If you paid using Paypal you will be reimbursed in full minus the $.30 processing fee.
Please direct your questions about the WSDA Train-the-Trainer program to Don McMoran (360) 428-4270 x 225