- Washington Department of Fish and Wildlife Backyard Wildlife Sanctuary Program (website) – Has great section on various nest boxes and much more!
- Backyard Wildlife – Bird Houses and Shelves (website) – Ron J. Johnson, Extension Wildlife Specialist, University of Nebraska and Jeanine L. Lackey, Extension Assistant
- Principles for Creating a Backyard Wildlife Habitat (pdf) – University of Maine Cooperative Extension Bulletin #7132
- Planning a Backyard Wildlife Habitat (pdf) – University of Maine Cooperative Extension Bulletin #7133
- National Wildlife Federation Backyard Wildlife Habitat Program (website)
- Enjoy Backyard Wildlife with a Butterfly, Moth and Hummingbird Garden (website) — Minnesota DNR
- Bird house dimensions suggested by “Wild Birds Forever” (website) – Also includes information on the habits of several common birds.
- Building Nest Structures, Feeders, and Photo Blinds for North Dakota Wildlife (pdf) – By Chris Grondahl and John Dockter. Plans for a variety of bird houses & feeders. Also house plans for bats and a few other mammals.
(Some information in these links may not be suitable for Western Washington. Check with your local WSU Extension office if you have any questions.)
Compiled by: Dave Pehling, Snohomish County Extension Analyst
(links updated 06/08/15)