Some WSU Extension web sites provide links to external sites for the convenience of users. These external sites are not managed by the WSU Extension. Furthermore, WSU Extension does not review, control or take responsibility for the content of these sites, nor do these sites implicitly or explicitly represent official positions and policies of WSU Extension.
- Washington Department of Fish and Wildlife Backyard Wildlife Sanctuary Program (website) – Has great section on various nest boxes and much more!
- Backyard Wildlife – Bird Houses and Shelves (website) – Ron J. Johnson, Extension Wildlife Specialist, University of Nebraska and Jeanine L. Lackey, Extension Assistant.
- Principles for Creating a Backyard Wildlife Habitat (pdf)– University of Maine Cooperative Extension Bulletin #7132
- Planning a Backyard Wildlife Habitat (pdf) – University of Maine Cooperative Extension Bulletin #7133
- National Wildlife Federation Backyard Wildlife Habitat Program (website)
- Enjoy Backyard Wildlife with a Butterfly, Moth and Hummingbird Garden (website) — Minnesota DNR
- Bird house dimensions suggested by “Wild Birds Forever” (website) – Also includes information on the habits of several common birds.
- Building Nest Structures, Feeders, and Photo Blinds for North Dakota Wildlife (pdf) – By Chris Grondahl and John Dockter. Plans for a variety of bird houses & feeders. Also house plans for bats and a few other mammals.
(Some information in these links may not be suitable for Western Washington. Check with your local WSU Extension office if you have any questions.)
Compiled by: Dave Pehling, Snohomish County Extension Analyst
(links updated 08/04/20)