Skip to main content Skip to navigation


Food Safety

Washington State Department of Agriculture Food Safety:

The Food Safety & Consumer Services Division serves consumers and stakeholders in the state of Washington by assuring the availability, safety, and integrity of the state’s human and animal food supply.

Food Safety Modernization Act (FSMA):

Signed into law in 2011, the Food Safety Modernization Act (FSMA) reflects how essential a safe food supply is to the health and well-being of society. Visit the WSU Food & Produce Safety site for more information.

Extension Legal Services InitiativeFood Safety Modernization Act Resources: The site includes an interactive map illustrating the specifics of each U.S. state’s produce safety program laws, as well as seven helpful fact sheets for producers.

Produce Safety Alliance Grower Training:

Fruit and vegetable growers and others interested in learning about produce safety, the Food Safety Modernization Act (FSMA) Produce Safety Rule, Good Agricultural Practices (GAPs), and co-management of natural resources and food safety are encouraged to take the PSA Grower Training. The PSA Grower Training Course is one way to satisfy the FSMA Produce Safety Rule requirement outlined in § 112.22(c) that requires ‘At least one supervisor or responsible party for your farm must have successfully completed food safety training at least equivalent to that received under standardized curriculum recognized as adequate by the Food and Drug Administration.’

Visit the WSU Food Safety & Food Processing Trainings page for up to date info on course offerings.

Food Processing Regulations:

Technically, “food processing” is defined as “handling or processing of any food in any manner of preparation for sale for human consumption” (RCW 69.07). Whether selling direct to consumers at farmers markets, at farm stands, through CSAs or selling to grocery stores, restaurants, or institutions, you must obtain a WSDA Food Processors license from the WSDA Food Safety Program to sell processed foods.

Visit the WSDA Food Processors page for more information on regulations and application process.

Writing a Farm Food Safety Plan:

This is a template to help you develop a farm food safety plan. The information provided will vary in applicability to each produce grower, packer, or handler.

Template developed by the National GAPs Program at Cornell University

Questions related to consumer food storage, food safety or food preservation? Contact the Master Food Preservers for advice on how to store, prepare or process foods that meet both quality and safety guidelines. Email or phone at 509-735-3551.


Produce Safety

Ensuring produce safety—from farm to table—is a critical step in reducing the presence of dangerous bacteria in the food supply and preventing foodborne illness.

washing vegetables

Browse the WSU Food & Produce Safety website for info on Site Selection, Worker Health & Hygiene, Pre-harvest Agricultural Water, Soil Amendments, Wildlife & Domesticated Animals, Post-harvest water, Cleaning & Sanitation, and more.

Know the difference between a Produce Safety Rule Inspection and a GAP Audit!

Do you have a food safety question?

The WSU Food Safety program has a number you can call toll-free 24 hours a day.  Call 1- 855-335-0575 or send an email to

For more information on your county’s food safety permitting and programs please visit links below:

Clallam County Health & Human Services

Environmental Health works with the public, food service establishments, and food service workers to protect public health. To find out more about their education and permitting programs visit their Food Safety page.

Jefferson County Public Health

The Environmental Health Division of Jefferson County Public Health manages a number of programs designed to assure the safe service of food throughout the county. The programs include permits, training and inspection of workers, premises and facilities. Visit their Food Safety page for more information.

Kitsap Public Health District

Visit KPHD’s Food Safety page to learn more about their food safety programs, inspections, permitting and applications.

Farmers may also find their Temporary Food Vendors section helpful for applying to vend at local farmers markets and events.

WSU Kitsap Food Safety Flyers

Cottage Food Law Using a Commercial Kitchen