The Kitsap Farm Mentor Program provides a multidisciplinary study into sustainable agriculture. Developed by farmers and the WSU Extension offices in Kitsap and Jefferson Counties, the program provides curriculum support for approved farmer mentors.
Formal instruction is provided by each farmer mentor and WSU specialists. Farm mentors provide their chosen interns with comprehensive instruction in the operations of their farm. Farm-based learning is supplemented by monthly intensive workshops in topics such as livestock systems, soil management, seed systems and pasture management.
Kitsap Farm Mentor Program Goals:
The Kitsap Farm Mentor Program’s main goal is to provide support to approved Farm Mentors who then collectively provide instruction and hands-on learning in small farm agricultural practices while celebrating Kitsap County as a farming community.
Role of WSU & Farmers
Farmers: During the internship process, the farm is the classroom and the farmer is the on-site instructor. Farm Mentors share their education, knowledge, and skills to enrich the learning of their farm interns.
WSU Kitsap Extension: The Kitsap Farm Mentor Program is administered through the WSU Kitsap Extension office. The program is designed to provide support and administrative assistance to the farm mentor group to further their success in training the next generation of skilled farmers. The program does not provide matchmaking with interns, communicate on behalf of interns, or contract with interns in any fashion.
Laughing Crow Farm & Bainbridge Vineyards
Betsey Wittick, Owner, Winegrower/Wine Maker, Farm Mentor
Applying to be a Farm Mentor
Are you a Farmer in Kitsap County that would like to take part in the Kitsap Farm Mentor Program?
- Please make sure to review the Kitsap Farm Mentor Program Overview document prior to applying.
- Complete and submit the Kitsap Farm Mentor Online Application. Printable versions of the program overview and application can be found on the right hand-side bar. Applications are due into the Program Coordinator by November 1st each year. Applicants that apply after November 1st will not be considered to take part in the program for the upcoming year.
- Your application will be reviewed by the WSU Extension Program Coordinator and submitted to the program advisory panel for consideration.
- The Program Coordinator will follow up with the farmer via email or phone within six (6) weeks of submission
- If accepted, farmers can schedule a program introduction meeting (optional) with the Coordinator at the WSU Kitsap Extension office.Questions about the process or want to learn more before applying? Contact the Kitsap Farm Mentor Program Coordinator
Program Printable Documents:
If you are an intern looking for a host farm in Kitsap, please apply directly to the farm of your choice. A full list of approved Kitsap Farm Mentors and their contact information can be found on the sidebar of this page.
- WSU does not provide matchmaking or public promotion of available intern positions for Farm Mentors.
- WSU does not vet or endorse farm interns to Farm Mentors.
- WSU does not take part in any private agreements between Farm Mentors and their interns.
Contact the Kitsap Farm Mentor Program Coordinator with any questions.