Livestock Care & Food Animal Production
WSU Extension Animal Agriculture Website – The WSU Extension Animal Ag Team provides research-based information to Washington livestock producers and natural resource managers to improve their economic status and quality of life while they create a quality product in a sustainable manner.
Can Cow Nutrition Affect Performance, Quality, and Palatability of its Calf? – PowerPoint Presentation
WSU Carcass Calculator – The WSU Livestock Carcass Grade & Cutablity Calculator is an excellent way for producers, niche marketers, butchers, livestock judges, meat evaluators, and youth to quickly determine the yield grade and cutability of beef, pork or lamb carcasses. Just enter live or carcass data information. The tool is free to download and can be can be run on a smartphone or tablet. Read more…
Pork Informational Gateway – The Pork Information Gateway (PIG) is a FREE resource for the U.S. Pork Industry. The PIG library provides the industry with factsheets, how-to guides, references, and videos that cover all aspects of the pork industry including resources for small and beginning pig farmers and youth swine projects.
- Low-Stress Cattle Handling Video – The video is a review of Washington State University Extension Low-Stress Cattle Handling training seminars featuring nationally recognized cattle handling expert and veterinarian Dr. Tom Noffsinger from Benkelman, Nebraska. The video summaries low-stress handling concepts and techniques and shows animated computer graphic illustrations, and live cattle handling videos highlighting these concepts and techniques. The Spanish version of the video is available at vimeo.com/118762317.
- North Central Washington Junior Livestock Show
- Northwest Junior Sheep Exposition
- Washington State Shearing School
- Junior Livestock Show Events
Please contact Sarah Smith, 509-754-2011 ext. 4363 or firstname.lastname@example.org to sign up for future shearing schools.
Columbia Basin Sheep Producers Newsletter
Livestock Ownership Certificates
- 4-H Horse Certificate
- 4-H Dairy Certificate
- 4-H Goat Certificate – CO895
- 4-H/FFA Steer Ownership Certificate
Livestock Health Records
- Dairy Heifer Health Record & Instructions
- Market Beef Health Record & Instructions
- Market Goat Health Record & Instructions
- Market Lamb Health Record & Instructions
- Market Swine Health Record & Instructions
Area Extension Educator Sarah Smith specializes in animal sciences, including cattle, swine, sheep, and goat production. She supports the food and fiber product industry, sustainable management practices, marketing, irrigated and dryland pasture, quality assurance, and animal well being. Sarah coordinates animal science programming for youth and adult producers, supports 4-H and FFA livestock educational programs, advises educational efforts with Grant County Cattlemen, Washington and Columbia Basin Sheep producers associations, Washington Pork producers associations, Adams and Grant county fairs, and 4-H/FFA livestock organizations. Impacts of the Grant/Adams Area animal science program include enhancing economic opportunities for agriculture enterprises while protecting Washington resources.