We look forward to hosting our Master Gardener Training, once again, in 2022!
The application for 2022 Master Gardener Training is now available
We will be accepting completed applications through October 29, 2021. Limited space available.
Training—What Is Involved:
Attending in classroom sessions combined with on-line training modules developed by WSU, Master Gardener trainees are educated in sustainable horticulture practices and diagnostic skills.
Online training* can be accessed and completed from any computer with an internet connection. Trainees will be expected to complete all training modules, the quizzes and final exam.
A series of classroom sessions, will provide additional instruction, topic discussions, and various hands-on activities. Trainees will be expected to attend scheduled onsite classes** as well as an orientation session before working their first volunteer hours.
*It is necessary to have basic computer skills and the ability to communicate by email.
** Classes run on Thursdays, January through April each year. In 2022 classes will be held from 9am—3pm with a one hour break for lunch.
Becoming a Master Gardener in Spokane County involves
- completing the Application for Master Gardener Training
- interviewing and being accepted for training
- completing an extensive horticulture training program ($200)*
- completing WSU on-line training program ($75)
- volunteering 40 hours or more each year
Steps in the MASTER GARDENER Application Process
- Step 1 – print the Application for Master Gardener Training (see below)
- Step 2 – Submit your completed Master Gardener Application Form
- Applications are processed in the fall of the year prior to training. Applications are accepted from April through October 31. Spokane County has an October 31 application deadline.
- The application form asks for background information on gardening and volunteer experiences, general availability for volunteer work (used by program coordinators to help connect volunteers with projects), criminal background information, and contact information for three references. Therefore, it must be printed, completed, and mailed to:
WSU Extension, Spokane County Master Gardener Program222 N Havana, #205Spokane, WA 99202-4799
- Attend our winter training (each Thursday January-April)
- Step 3 – Background check – Washington State University is legally mandated to conduct criminal background screenings on volunteers who through community outreach will have unsupervised access to children under the age of 16, developmentally disabled persons, or vulnerable adults. WSU has contracted with Sterling Volunteers (formerly Verified Volunteers) to provide nationwide screening for all WSU volunteers. A criminal record or poor driving record does not bar you as a volunteer, but will be considered as it relates to the specifics of the volunteer position.
- Step 4 – Preliminary screening will be from information on the application form. Primary considerations are based on:
- Interest in volunteer work
- Availability for volunteer work
- People skills (i.e., ability to assist Extension in horticulture educational efforts)
- Gardening experience
- Staff will email/USPS mail confidential reference letters to the references listed on the application. At least two must be returned before the applicant can be accepted into the Master Gardener program.
- Step 5 – Interview – We invite applicants in for an informal interview giving the applicant the opportunity to learn more about the Master Gardener Program and ask questions about training and volunteer work.
- Step 6 – Applicants will be advised if they were selected for the Master Gardener Program.
Extension programs are available to all without discrimination. Selection is not based on race, age, color, religion, national origin, gender, disability, sexual orientation, or veteran status, disability or handicap.
Students requesting handicap accommodations should directly contact the WSU Spokane County Extension 477-2195.
If you have questions you can contact the Spokane County Master Gardener Clinic Coordinator.
* please contact us if you would like to apply for a partial scholarship or tuition payment plans.