WSU Extension of Benton and Franklin counties support producers, small and large alike, with practical and research-based information geared toward nutrition, reproduction, and animal health.
Our program focuses on three key components related to profitability and long-term viability of beef cattle operations:
- Beef cow nutrition/reproduction–utilize effective nutritional management to maximimize the number of cows bred, and healthy calves born and marketed per cow exposed during the breeding season.
- Calf health and the immune system–once the calf crop is delivered, doing everything within the producer’s power to keep the cows and calves healthy and reduce losses from scours, BRD, and other health issues.
- Management systems–Optimizing the use of available forages, protecting natural resources, and exploring the utilization of alternative feeds, forages, and supplements with a focus on reducing costs and increasing producer’s profits.
- Central Washington Animal Agriculture Team
- Bovine Respiratory Disease Project
- Washington State University Department of Animal Sciences
- WSU Veterinary Medicine Extension
Cow Nutrition and Management
- Liquid Protein Supplementation of Beef Cows
- Canola and Camelina Meal as Protein Supplements for Beef Cattle
- Valuing Canola and Camelina Meal as a Biodiesel Byproduct
- Feeding Beef Cattle I: The Realities of Low-Quality Forages
- Feeding Beef Cattle II: Fetal Programming – Rethinking Cow/Calf Feeding Programs
- 2014 Beef Management Calendar
Cow and Calf Health
- Nitrate Poisoning in Ruminants
- Prussic Acid Poisoning
- Blister Beetles
- Influence of Early Weaning Beef Cows
- Youth Beef Exhibitors Steer of Merit Program
- YQCA (Youth for the Quality Care of Animals)
Only the information you want, when and where you want it.
When it comes to irrigated agriculture, you have a unique set of interests. At WSU Extension, we want to provide you with the information that matches your interests, and nothing more. Our team has joined together with WSU Specialists in other counties across Washington State to set up an email information delivery service that you can customize to your specific information needs. Receive time-sensitive information as soon as we have it, even while you are on the go. Sign up today!
- WSDA Pesticide License Info
- Irrigated Agriculture Info Service
- PNW pest guides: Insects
- PNW pest guides: Weeds
- PNW pest guides: Diseases
- WSU Agriculture CAHNRS
- WSU Small Farms Team