Household Hazardous Waste

Residents in Island County can dispose of household hazardous waste for free at county transfer facilities on Whidbey and Camano Islands. For a list of locations, hours and what is accepted click the link below.

Is it a Household Hazardous Waste? Look for signal words on the label. For example:

  • Danger!
  • Warning
  • Caution
  • Toxics
  • Keep away from children
  • Keep away from heat or flame
  • Use in well ventilated area…

Household Hazardous Wastes are used or unwanted:

  • Yard & Garden chemicals
  • Oil-based Paints & Stains, Adhesives, Removers & Thinners
  • Used oils, fuels
  • Automotive chemicals and batteries
  • Pool & Spa chemicals
  • Photographic & Other Hobby chemicals
  • Cleaners & Solvents
  • Dry-cell batteries (tape the terminals to prevent fires during storage and transport!)
  • Fluorescent lamps, CFLs (compact fluorescents) pre-1979 ballasts
  • Mercury (thermometers, pressure cuffs, thermostats, batteries…)
  • Aerosol cans (that still contain product)
  • Propane tanks
  • Refrigerants and refrigerating appliances

Items not accepted:

  • Latex/acrylic paint,
    • If the latex/acrylic paint is in good condition and there is at least half a container you can take it to BARC Retail located at the Coupeville Transfer Station. Paint and stains are also available for purchase.  These paints can be dried out and discarded with the regular waste.  For ways to dry out latex paint.
  • Empty containers
  • Fireworks
  • Explosives

Wonder how to tell the difference between latex and oil paint?  Here are some ways:

Learn to tell the difference between latex and oil-based paint

“water based” or “acrylic”“alkyd”
Contains the words “cleans with water” on the labelContains the words “cleans with solvent”, “flammamble” or “combustable” on the label
Can come in a plastic containerDoes not come in a plastic container
Dries on wall in 1 hourDries on wall overnight

For more information visit the Island County Solid Waste website.