Skip to main content Skip to navigation
Washington State University

Gardening Websites – Tip Sheet #1

General Gardening Information

  • WSU Extension site, Gardening in Washington – information on many gardening topics. Link to website
  • WSU Extension publications – many available for free download. Link to website
  • King County Master Gardener program, plant clinics, demonstration gardens, and more. Link to website
  • Linda Chalker-Scott, WSU Extension Urban Horticulturist – common myths about gardening. Link to website
  • Oregon State University Extension – gardening articles, month-by-month gardening calendars, et al. Link to website
  • University of Washington’s Miller Library site – Gardening Answers Knowledgebase, list of regional plant sales and garden tours, directory of horticultural websites, extensive resource lists and resources for plants. Link to website
  • Fact sheets and photos of ~1000 plants that perform well in the Pacific Northwest and are relatively low maintenance. Plant lists and advanced search options. Sponsored by Elisabeth C. Miller Botanical Garden. Link to website
  • New homeowner? Call before you dig: Washington Utility Notification Center, phone # is 811. Link to website

Pests, Diseases, Weeds and Pesticides

Invasive Scotch broom
  • WSU Extension Hortsense and Pestsense – advice on plant pest and disease problems. Includes information on weeds and Washington-registered pesticides. Link to hortsense website or pestsense website
  • Pacific Northwest plant disease, insect and weed management handbooks online. Sponsored by WSU, Oregon State U. and U. of Idaho. Link to website
  • King County Noxious Weed Control Program – weeds on the noxious weed list, including control strategies. Link to website
  • EXtension TOXicology NETwork – cooperative effort of UC Davis, OSU, Michigan State U., Cornell U., and U. of Idaho – Information on pesticides, pesticide use and toxicity. Link to website
  • Guide to choosing safer pesticides and garden products. Link to website

Composting and Soil Testing

Green waste
  • King County Solid Waste Division – composting and improving soil health. Link to website
  • Seattle Tilth – composting methods and bins (including worm composting), plans for building composters. Link to website
  • King Conservation District – soil testing program. Link to website
  • WSU Puyallup – extensive information on soils and soil testing and interpreting results. Link to website

Native Plants

  • King County Water & Land Resources Division – Northwest Native Plant Guide – plant lists, photos, and landscape plans. Link to website
  • King County Natural Resources & Parks Division – Native Plant Resources for the Pacific Northwest. Link to website
  • Washington Native Plant Society – plant lists, publications, plant sales. Link to website

Lawns and Gardens – City, County and State Resources

  • Water utilities in King County – gardening advice, videos, classes. Link to website
  • Seattle Public Utilities – lawn care advice and resources. Link to website
  • Seattle Public Utilities – Integrated Pest Management, including Facts Sheets on moss, pests and weeds. Link to website
  • King County Solid Waste Division – Natural Yard Care – ways to have healthy lawns and gardens with less pesticide use. Link to website
  • Washington State Department of Fish & Wildlife: Living with Wildlife. Link to website
  • King County Public Health – landscaping tips for septic systems. Link to website
  • Washington Poison Center, statewide provider of assistance regarding exposure to poisonous, hazardous, or toxic substances, including plants. Link to website or call 1-800-222-1222

Local Companies

Local plant nurseries and seed companies often have helpful information at their websites. Two of the most useful are: Territorial Seeds and Raintree Nursery. Link to Territorial Seed website or Raintree Nursery website




Detail image of compost by Ben Kerckx.

CLH 2/9/24


WSU Extension Master Gardener Program *  Extension programs and employment are available to all without discrimination. Evidence of noncompliance may be reported through your local Extension office.


Back to top or Tip Sheet Overview