2022 SJI AG SUMMIT
The 10th Annual San Juan Islands Agricultural Summit was a success with 185 participants engaging in educational and community building content from San Juan County and beyond.
Friday, March 4th was an all-virtual day. We kicked off with Dr. Brook Brouwer giving a welcome address and taking us through the Summit’s journey over the last ten years. Virtual sessions included:
- Farm Infrastructure for Production and Stewardship;
- Food Hubs: Lessons Learned and Future Plans of SJI Food Hub and Puget Sound Food Hub;
- Alternative Models to Farmland Access;
- Carbon Farming: Sequestering Carbon and Adapting to Climate Change.
Webinars were followed by a community roundtable discussion and a keynote address Rematriation; Re-storying the Land through Centering Indigenous Relationships by Rowen White.
Saturday, March 5th was our in-person workshop day on Lopez Island. Workshops included:
- Traditional Foodways Discussion;
- On-Farm Composting – You Can Do It!;
- Commercial Orcharding; Local Value Added;
- On-Farm Vet Skills;
- Water Storage & Irrigation Systems.
A locally sourced lunch was provided by the Lopez Island School. We wrapped up this year’s Summit with an evening social gathering hosted by Midnight’s Farm with food by El Taco Bout It, libations by Lopez Island Brewing and music by Derek Eisel and Pablo Paz.
The 2022 Summit is supported by the following partner organizations
Thank you to our 2022 Summit Sponsors!