Live outside San Juan County and looking for information about a course offered in your area? Click on this link to find your local course facilitator for more information: Whole Farm Planning Course Locations and Facilitator Contacts
Registration is now closed, please get in touch with Aba Kiser for any questions. firstname.lastname@example.org
¡Curso traducido al Español! This course will be offered with Spanish language interpretation and facilitation.
Registration Closes October 16th. Course begins on October 20th.
Fall/Winter 2020 Whole Farm Planning Course Description
We’ll cover a broad overview of production and marketing options for today’s small farm! Whether you are just exploring the opportunities available or already have an existing operation, you’ll learn what it takes to create, sustain, and grow a viable small farm.
- $125 for a 9-week course offered fully online through Zoom!
- Class begins October 20th running through December 15th, 2020 and meets every Tuesday from 6:00pm to 8:30pm.
- Scholarships are available for Military Veterans. Limited scholarships available for anyone for which the course fee is a barrier.
Cultivating Success™: Whole Farm Planning is a 9-week, step-by-step course, to help prepare a well thought out plan for land, life, and farm business. Learn how to use a whole systems lens to create a living plan for a small farm future.
Course objectives include gaining knowledge of the practical aspects of whole farm planning for a wide variety of enterprises, understanding the various components of sustainable small-scale farming systems and gaining skills in assessing the feasibility of developing a viable, sustainable, small-scale farming enterprise including how to evaluate personal and family goals, evaluate land and personal resources, and improve environmental outcomes. Participants will learn about available resources and support networks for sustainable farming and develop a whole farm plan that meets social, environmental, and financial goals.
Classes will meet weekly through Zoom, in an online classroom environment. Participants will join a collective statewide cohort for main topics and lectures from experts in sustainable practices, direct market farming, value-added processing, integrated pest management, livestock, and more. Following the main lecture of the evening, smaller, regionally based groups will break off for localized discussion and community building with local farmers and ranchers, building a solid network and a whole farm plan to suite any operation.
Key Exercises for Whole Farm Planning Course:
- Sustainability Concepts
- Whole Farm Planning
- Evaluating Resources & Enterprise Assessment
- Marketing & Business Strategies
- Sustainable Farming Practices & Ecological Soil Management
- Integrated Pest & Weed Management
- Basics of Livestock Management
- Sustainable Crop Production
- Equipment & Facilities Considerations
- Online classroom environment through Zoom platform.
- Students access course syllabus, calendar, and learning modules through password protected website.
Online Class Time: Every Tuesday – October 20th through December 15th , 2020 – from 6pm to 8:30pm (No class on Election Day)
- Zoom Classroom Opens at 6:00pm
- Statewide lecture begins at 6:10pm
- Transition into Regional Breakout Rooms 7:10pm
- Break (online potluck) 7:15pm to 7:30pm
- Regional Breakout Room Discussions and Networking 7:30pm
- Class Ends 8:30pm
Contact Kate Mikulak, Ag Program Coordinator, for more information: 360-370-7664; email@example.com