Fall 2021 Whole Farm Planning Course Description
REGISTER HERE! https://www.cultivatingsuccesswa.org/whole-farm-planning
¡Curso traducido al Español! This course will be offered with Spanish language interpretation and facilitation.
We’ll cover a broad overview of production and marketing options for today’s small farm! Whether you are just exploring the opportunities available or already have an existing operation, you’ll learn what it takes to create, sustain, and grow a viable small farm.
- Class begins September 21st running through December 7th, 2021.
- Scholarships are available for Military Veterans. Limited scholarships available for anyone for which the course fee is a barrier.
Cultivating Success™: Whole Farm Planning is an 12-week, step-by-step course, to help prepare a well thought out plan for land, life, and farm business. Learn how to use a whole systems lens to create a living plan for a small farm future.
Course objectives include gaining knowledge of the practical aspects of whole farm planning for a wide variety of enterprises, understanding the various components of sustainable small-scale farming systems and gaining skills in assessing the feasibility of developing a viable, sustainable, small-scale farming enterprise including how to evaluate personal and family goals, evaluate land and personal resources, and improve environmental outcomes. Participants will learn about available resources and support networks for sustainable farming and develop a whole farm plan that meets social, environmental, and financial goals.
Classes will meet weekly through Zoom, in an online classroom environment. Participants will join a collective statewide cohort for main topics and lectures from experts in sustainable practices, direct market farming, value-added processing, integrated pest management, livestock, and more. Throughout the evening, students will join smaller discussion groups of fellow farmers and ranchers, building a solid network and community, and a whole farm plan to suit any operation.
Key Exercises for Whole Farm Planning Course:
- Sustainability Concepts
- Whole Farm Planning
- Evaluating Resources & Enterprise Assessment
- Marketing & Business Strategies
- Sustainable Farming Practices & Ecological Soil Management
- Integrated Pest & Weed Management
- Basics of Livestock Management
- Sustainable Crop Production
- Equipment & Facilities Considerations
- Online classroom environment through Zoom platform.
- Students access course syllabus, calendar, and learning modules through password protected website.
Online Class Time: Every Tuesday – September 21st through December 7th, 2020 (No class week of Thanksgiving)
Contact Kate Mikulak, Ag Program Coordinator, for more information: 360-370-7664; email@example.com