4-H Teen Leadership
Skagit 4-H Youth Leadership
Goals of the Skagit Teen Leadership program:
- encourage youth to take on increasingly challenging learning opportunities
- encourage youth to have a voice in decision making with adults
- promote a teen program that is county wide and leadership focused
- have fun while developing stronger interpersonal skills
4-H gives youth confidence and teaches responsibility. 4-Hers have the chance to develop leadership skills through real hands-on opportunities in their communities.
Thinking About Leadership
Researchers have identified two types of leadership styles. Some people are all one or the other, some are a blend of both.
- Product oriented
- Decision making imperative
- Task oriented
- “gets things done”
- Process Oriented
- Collaboration imperative
- Experience Oriented
- Looks for “teachable moments”
In 4-H, our goal is to provide youth leaders with opportunities to develop skills in both of these types of leadership.