Skip to main content Skip to navigation

AgrAbility Services

AgrAbility Services


Washington AgrAbility is a program designed to help farmers, ranchers, and people in the agricultural community continue to farm despite physical barriers from aging, injury, or illness.

You can use AgrAbility if you work in agriculture and experience any illness, injury, or limitation of movement resulting from arthritis, spinal cord injuries, traumatic brain injuries, and other accidents or illnesses.

AgrAbility will work with you to understand your concerns and goals. Your AgrAbility coordinator will work with a licensed occupational therapist and a certified assistive technology specialist to create a custom list of recommendations of tools, technologies, and new approaches that will help you meet your goals. AgrAbility provides education and assistance free of charge.

Who qualifies for AgrAbility services?

All farmers, ranchers, agricultural workers and members of their families who are aging, living with disease, disability or disorder are eligible to receive AgrAbility services.

What kind of disabilities does the AgrAbility Program provide services for?

AgrAbility has served individuals with a wide range of disability types including physical, cognitive, and illness-related. AgrAbility is not capable of providing comprehensive assistance for all disability-types but is often able to refer individuals to better equipped sources of information and assistance. AgrAbility resources are available that address the needs of individuals with:

• Amputations • Arthritis • Back Pain • Blindness/Low Vision • Cancer • Cardiac Conditions • Cerebral Palsy • Deafness/Hearing Impairments • Diabetes • Multiple Sclerosis • Muscular Dystrophy • Respiratory Problems • Spinal Cord Injuries • Stroke • Traumatic Brain Injury

Is there a cost for the services of an AgrAbility Project?

All consultation services provided via mail, email, or telephone by our staff are provided without cost. AgrAbility staff may recommend resources, assistive technology, or expert consulting services, such as from a Professional Engineer that may have costs associated with them.

Is there a cost for the services of an AgrAbility Project?

All consultation services provided via mail, email, or telephone by our staff are provided without cost. AgrAbility staff may recommend resources, assistive technology, or expert consulting services, such as from a Professional Engineer that may have costs associated with them.

How much personal information do I have to share ?

You decide what information you are willing to share. People working with the program are professionals and will not gather unnecessary information, nor will they share information without your permission or violate your right to privacy.

Will other people find out I have a disability?

Everything you share with our team will stay confidential unless you choose to share your experience. Your neighbors may notice that you are able to perform tasks that you formerly were prevented from pursuing. If they ask how the recovery happened, we hope you will share your experience with them, but you are not required to do so. You may decide to mentor farmers with a disability in your community and, if so, you will become a valuable resource to others.

What services does AgrAbility offer?

  • In person (home assessments) or virtual assessments with recommendations for assistive technology.
  • Provide education about practices, accommodations and available tools to ensure a safe return to the workplace post injury or illness.
  • Collaborate with partners, providers and agencies to ensure information and delivery of services are available for farmers and agricultural workers returning to work.
  • Use of the Washington Lending Library to try assistive technology and ensure your want and need for it before committing to purchase it.

What is an on-farm assessment?

The on-farm assessment is an on-site evaluation to match the individual’s goals with ways to achieve them. An individual may decide to redefine long-term goals and prioritize short-term goals. The on-farm assessment is typically completed in one visit, although information and referral follow-up via telephone or email and correspondence are appropriate. After your on-farm assessment your AgrAbility Coordinator will help you develop a plan to meet your needs including assistive technology options, adaptive equipment modifications and referrals to other service providers if needed.

What is assistive technology?

Assistive technology for people who live in farming communities includes any kind of device, modification, or service that will help a person with a disability work and live more independently in the rural setting. An assistive technology device is any item or piece of equipment used to maintain or improve the functional capabilities of people with disabilities, allowing them to function independently in any setting including: recreation, education, employment and daily living. Assistive technology enables a person with a disability to complete tasks within an agricultural setting. Examples of assistive technology include:

• Tractor seat with added back support • Walking Cane • Extended Tractor Steps • Tractor Lift • Turney Seat • Universal Steps • Wheelchair Lift • Speech Recognition Software


Want to learn more? Check out National AgrAbility’s list of Frequently Asked Questions.

                         Pathway to Services

Who we work with:

  • WA Department of Vocational Rehabilitation (DVR): DVR offers services designed to help you prepare for, get and keep a job. The services available are based on individual needs and may include workshops, counseling, guidance, assessment services, benefit planning, independent living services, assistive technology services, training and education, and job-related services (modifications, accommodations and technology).
  • Worksource Centers: statewide partnership of state, local and nonprofit agencies that provide a variety of employment and training services to job seekers and employers in Washington.
  • WA Labor & Industries (L & I): As administrators of the state’s workers’ compensation system, they are similar to a large insurance company, providing medical and limited wage-replacement coverage to workers who suffer job-related injuries and illness. For more information, go to:
  • WA DSHS Aging and Long-Term Support Administration (ALTSA) Office of the Deaf and Hard of Hearing Regional Service Centers: Promote choice, independence and safety through innovative services so one can choose where they want to live and receive long-term care while remaining safe and having access to quality services
  • Growing Veterans: empowers veterans to cultivate purpose and belonging by growing food, community and each other.
    They grow food at the organic farm in Lynden, Washington and their outpost farm on Greenbank Whidbey Island, WA.  Peer groups and trainings occur regularly to foster a community and each other. For more information, go to:
  • Vets of the Farm (Spokane Conservation District): Vets on the Farm is designed for Veterans seeking a new mission and a way to transition back into civilian life through careers in agriculture, farming, ranching or other conservation-based industries. They provide resources and opportunities for education, partnership, and employment to help reach that goal. For more information, go to:
  • Vets CAFE (Veterans’ Ecological Trades Collective, 501c3): support veterans and allies in acquiring skills that launch or refine careers in Conservation, Agriculture, Forestry and Ecological Design, based on of Chehalis, Washington. For more information, go to:
  • Farmer Veteran Coalition: The Washington Chapter of the Farmer Veteran Coalition (FVC-WA) was founded in 2015 with the mission of supporting veterans and their families in agriculture to strengthen our communities across Washington State. For more information, go to:
  • Opportunities Industrialization Center (OIC) National Farmworker Jobs Center (NFJP): serves eligible migrant and seasonal farmworkers and their dependents in Washington State.  Services include job training, tuition assistance, employability advancement assistance, and other related assistance that supports agriculture workers and their families to address urgent needs. For more information, go to:
  • Northwest Access Fund provides Assistive Technology loans for Washington residents of all ages with disabilities of all types, including seniors with age-related functional limitations. For more information, go to:
  • Washington Assistive Technology Act Program (WATAP) provides Washingtonians with disabilities AT Device Demonstrations and Borrowing. For more information, go to:
  • Vision Matters: A Northwest company, headquartered in the Seattle area, with representatives in Eastern Washington, Idaho and Montana.  They provide the latest technology designed to help people living with low vision, blindness or other conditions.  They provide FREE consultations and home visits. For more information, go to: or call 425-892-0601.