A Curriculum for Grades 3-5
Choose Health: Food, Fun, and Fitness is a nutrition curriculum for 3rd-5th graders developed by Cornell University & Cooperative Extension. The overall goals of Choose Health: Food, Fun, and Fitness are to engage youth in activities that encourage healthy eating and active play. Lessons contain non-competitive active games, label reading, group discussion and some food sampling. One parent newsletter is distributed with each lesson.
- The curriculum supports key messages of the 2016 Dietary Guidelines for Americans and targets the following behavior goals:
- Replace sweetened drinks with low-fat milk and water
- Make half your plate fruits and vegetables
- Make at least half your grains whole grains
- Enjoy your food, but eat less and avoid oversized portions
- Play actively 60 minutes a day
- Limit screen time to two hours or less a day
USDA is an equal opportunity provider and employer. This material was funded by USDA’s Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program. SNAP. The Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP) provides nutrition assistance to people with low income. It can help you buy nutritious foods for a better diet. To find out more, contact: http://foodhelp.wa.gov or the Basic Food Program at: 1 877 501 2233.