2017 Ag Entrepreneurship & Business Planning Class
Registration is now open!
Are you a small acreage farmer looking to improve your business? Take our Ag Entrepreneurship & Business Planning Class to learn tips and tools to develop a successful business plan.
This 10 week course runs Thursdays 6-9pm, February 23 – April 27 in Hazel Dell, WA. Class topics include business planning, marketing, research methods, budget and record keeping, taxes, regulations and much more. Classes are taught by local farm marketing specialists, accountants, attorneys, agricultural professionals, and farmers sharing their farming and marketing experience. At the end of the course, students will emerge with a full business plan to take with them to guide their farm business decisions into the future.
Registration is $100 per family or farm. Partial scholarships are available on a limited basis.
Before you register, you must take our pre-registration survey. Class size is limited to 30 students and registration fills quickly, so fill out the survey today. Upon completion of the survey, you will be contacted and given a registration link. Please allow several days for your survey to be reviewed and registration link sent.
For more information, contact Amber Lefstead, WSU Clark County Small Acreage Program Coordinator at email@example.com or 360-397-6060 ext. 5729
Upcoming Small Acreage Program Events:
Now Scheduling Model Property Assessment Visits
Want a ‘Doing Our Part for Clean Water’ sign for your property? If you score 2.5 or higher on our Water Quality Self-Assessment Guide for Small Acreages, you’re a great candidate. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org
For information on the Small Acreage Program or Living on the Land curriculum, workshops and classes, contact:
Doug Stienbarger, Extension Director
(360) 397-6060 ext. 5742
The Small Acreage program, funded by the Clean Water Program in partnership with WSU Extension – Clark County provides educational workshops and other outreach to residents on how to manage issues such as mud and manure management, fencing and pasture management, and other water quality topics unique to rural properties.
The goal of the Small Acreage program is to reduce pollution entering storm and surface water coming from residential and agricultural properties by giving residents the knowledge and skills necessary to manage their land and animals in a way that will help keep water clean.
- Small Acreage Landowner Services Directory (715 KB PDF)
- Soil, Water, Forage Testing Labs in the Pacific Northwest (PDF)
- Keeping Clean Water Clean and Reducing Mud: Improving Drainage (335 KB PDF)
- Keeping Clean Water Clean and Reducing Mud: Managing Roof Runoff (227 KB PDF)
- Reduce Mud and Keep Water Clean: Sacrifice Areas (852 KB PDF)
- Simple Steps to Protect Your Surface and Well Water (150 KB PDF)
- Reducing Mud on Small Acreages (video clip)
Wells and Septic Systems
- Don’t Let Your Dollar$ Go Down the Drain! Septic Tank Additives (818 KB PDF)
- Protect Your Drinking Water: Simple Tips for Well Maintenance (1 MB PDF)
- Protecting Your Inve$tment: Inspecting Your Septic System (303 KB PDF)
- Save Time and Money – Properly Landscape Your Septic System (972 KB PDF)
- Water Quality Self Assessment Guide for Small Acreages (2.6 MB PDF)
- Constructing Ponds and Water Features: What Does it Take? (517 KB PDF)
- Current Use Taxation (545 KB PDF)
- Information on Small Acreage Management; A Resource List (604 KB PDF)
- Management Practices for Small Acreages: Keeping Water Clean (548 KB PDF)
- Natural Insect Control for Small Acreages (PDF – 580K)
- What Can You Do On Your Land? FAQs (652 KB PDF)
- Natural Insect Control For Small Farms (Slide show & narrative)
Stream Buffers for Agricultural Lands
- Riparian Buffers for Western Washington Agriculture (Video & PDF)
- Establishing Riparian Buffers Adjacent to Agricultural Lands (Video & PDF)
Pasture and Grazing Management
- Small Farm Publications and Videos (food safety, animal production, agricultural buffers)
- Tips On Land & Water Management for Small Acreages in Southwest Washington (PDF)
Workshops and Training
The Small Acreage program offers workshops throughout the year on issues of interest to rural landowners. Topics include mud and manure management, pasture management, wells and septic maintenance, and fencing for livestock.
For those who wish more in-depth information, the program also offers a 12-week series, Living on the Land: Stewardship for Small Acreages. Graduates of this training come away with a workable plan for their property that they created themselves based on what they learned in class. For the next class, check the calendar (http://clark.wsu.edu/calendar/index.asp) or call 360-397-6060 x 5742.
Small Farm Tours
The saying “a picture is worth a thousand words” is often true. Tours of farms and properties that follow clean water management practices, such as guttering to reduce mud, fencing to keep animals from eroding streams, composting of manure, and siting of outbuildings to improve efficiency, help participants see what is possible on their own property.
Small Acreage Recognition Program
The Small Acreage Program, supported by Clark County’s Clean Water Program, wishes to publicly recognize residents who are implementing clean water management practices on their acreage. If you or someone you know are doing good things on their small farms or rural property to protect our water, please let us know. Email Doug Steinbarger at email@example.com
Small Acreage Program 2015 Annual Report (4.9 MB PDF)
Small Acreage Program 2014 Annual Report (7.9 MB PDF)
Small Acreage Program 2013 Annual Report (6.5 MB PDF)
Small Acreage Program 2012 Annual Report (5.5 MB PDF)
Small Acreage Program 2011 Annual Report (3.7 MB PDF)
Small Acreage Program 2010 Annual Report (1.8 MB PDF)
Small Acreage Program 2009 Annual Report (467 KB PDF)
Small Acreage Program 2008 Annual Report (516 KB PDF)
Small Acreage Program 2008 Annual Report: Appendices (2.7 MB PDF)
Small Acreage Program 2007 Annual Report (792 KB PDF)
Small Acreage Program 2007 Annual Report: Appendices (7 MB PDF)
Small Acreage Program 2006 Annual Report (572 KB PDF)
Small Acreage Program 2006 Annual Report: Appendices (6.4 MB PDF)
Small Acreage Program 2005 Annual Report (570 KB PDF)
Small Acreage Program 2005 Annual Report: Appendices (6.6 MB PDF)
Small Acreage Program 2004 Annual Report (400 KB PDF)
Small Acreage Program 2004 Annual Report: Appendix A (6.8 MB PDF)
Small Acreage Program 2003 Annual Report (1.9 MB PDF)
Small Acreage Program Topics