Master Gardener Program
Erika Johnson, Program Coordinator
Trees are important landscape features whether in the home garden, in community parks and open spaces, or on the grounds of historic or public buildings. Often long-lived and large in size, trees may serve as living markers of times gone by or notable places. They may be associated with historic persons or events, or they may be unusual by their presence in this part of the world.
The WSU Extension Clark County Master Gardener program maintains a list of trees of significance in unincorporated Clark County through its Heritage Tree Program.
How to Nominate a Tree
If you have or know of a special tree or a grove of trees that might be considered for Heritage Tree status, please review the program criteria listed below and contact the WSU Extension Clark County Master Gardener Program at 564-397-5738, or submit a Heritage Tree Nomination form to firstname.lastname@example.org or in person at the Clark County Extension Office.
Heritage Tree status may be granted to single trees if it meets any or all of the following requirements:
- Size — a diameter of at least 36 inches
- Special site location
- Documented age or relation to a historical event
- Unusual species for the area, or exemplary form for a species
Heritage Tree status may be granted to a grove of trees if it meets any of the following requirements:
- Mature and contains trees that are distinctive due to size, condition, species, or age
- Associated with a historical event
- Relationship with a natural resource (i.e. stream bank)
Single trees or groves must:
- Be in good condition
- Have written consent of the property owner. Consent is non-binding and participation is strictly voluntary. Participation may be revoked at any time by the property owner. There is no legal relationship governing participation.
Nominations are currently reviewed semi-annually:
- Nomination deadlines — October & April
Once a nomination is received and the nomination deadline met, a designated group of volunteers will visit the tree to determine its qualification for the program. The visit will be scheduled in advance with the property owner.
A decision will be made by the committee and the property owner will be notified. The tree(s) will be added to the list and featured on the program’s website. A certificate of recognition with be provided to the property owner.
Download a Heritage Tree Nomination form and send to email@example.com or deliver in person to the Clark County Extension Office.
Our pages provide links to external sites for the convenience of users. WSU Extension does not manage these external sites, nor does Extension review, control, or take responsibility for the content of these sites. These external sites do not implicitly or explicitly represent official positions and policies of WSU Extension.
|WSU Clark County Master Gardener Program
1919 NE 78th Street • Vancouver, WA 98665