- Prep time: 20 minutes
- Cooking time: 45 minutes
- Servings: 6
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 lb chicken thighs, bone in (boneless is fine too)
- 8 cups water
- 1 bunch cilantro
- 1 tomato, whole
- 1 onion, ends cut off and peeled
- 4 whole peppercorns
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 1 chayote (güisquil), quartered
- 1 cabbage, cut into 6 wedges
- 3 carrots, peeled and cut in half
- 1-2 celery ribs
- a few pieces of fresh or frozen corn
- 3 small potatoes
- 2 cups peeled and diced yucca or a small bag frozen yucca
- Salt to taste
- Avocado, Lime, Sour Cream (for serving)
- Fill a medium saucepan halfway with water, bring to a boil.
- Add the yucca. Boil until tender, it should take about 30 minutes. Note: If you put the yucca in the water before it boils, the yucca will stay tough.
- While the yucca cooks, place all of the remaining ingredients in a large pot and add water to cover.
- Bring to a boil and skim until the broth is clear.
- Simmer for about 45 minutes or until chicken, cabbage and potatoes are cooked through.
- Remove the tomato, peppers and cilantro from the pot. Pour some of the broth on it and using a spoon, mash the tomato, peppers and cilantro to get the most flavor out of it, then discard.
- Add the yucca and serve.
Serving Suggestion: Ladle soup over cooked rice, add lime, sour cream and avocado.
¡Vea la receta en español!
Calories per serving-344; Servings per container-2; Protein-26.2g; Total Fat-6.4g; Saturated Fat-1.7g; Cholesterol-67mg; Total Carbohydrate-46.5g; Fiber-6.4g; Sodium-134mg; Calcium-93mg; Iron-3mg; Potassium-967mg
*The % Daily Value (DV) tells you how much a nutrient in a food serving contributes to a daily diet. 2000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice
<- Back to all recipes