The Kitsap Peninsula is an incredible place to learn about the waters and marine life that surround us. The Kitsap Beach Naturalist program is for people who want to discover and explore our shorelines and the sea life that call them home. Through partnership with UW’s Washington Sea Grant and WWU’s SEA Discovery Center, the Kitsap Beach Naturalist program offers an annual spring Beach Naturalist training and many free beach explorations for curious minds.
Free Beach Explorations
Each year, trained volunteers meet event participants out on beaches across the county (and beyond) to look for creatures that inhabit the intertidal zone. These explorations are free and open to all. Rubber boots or close-toes shoes are highly recommended.
Click here to view the 2019 free beach exploration schedule.
Kitsap Beach Naturalist Training
This class is open to the public, is taught by local and regional experts, and covers topics such as:
- Invertebrates and seaweeds
- Birds and bugs
- Shoreline conservation & restoration
- Shoreline living
- Salish Sea oceanography
- Interpretative skills
After this training we will provide and connect you with opportunities to volunteer around Kitsap County. Beach Naturalist volunteer events include acting as a naturalist for community beach explorations and children’s field trips, conducting beach profiles, monitoring sea stars, and offering outreach at local events.
Sign up here to be notified of 2020 Kitsap Beach Naturalist training dates.
Here are some resources to get you started exploring Kitsap’s beaches:
- Sound Water Stewards Identification and Information
- Topical Research Studies
- Encyclopedia of Puget Sound
- Explore our Puget Sound Beaches
- Marine Riparian Areas: These Important Nearshore Environments Offer a Wealth of Functions and Benefits
- Gathering Safe Shellfish in Washington
- Bivalves for Clean Water
- Ocean Acidification in Washington State
- Aquatic Invasive Species: A Guide to Least-Wanted Aquatic Organisms of the Pacific Northwest
- On the Lookout for Aquatic Invaders: Identification Guide for the West
- Tips to Refuel Boats Safely
- Scooping the Poop