Want to start a new 4-H Club?
Here is a quick and easy guide to help you get started: 4 Easy Steps to Starting a 4-H Club
**New Clubs Leaders must schedule an orientation before they start recruiting new members. New club leaders should complete the online training prior to the orientation date. Contact Mike Seiber to schedule a New Club Leader Orientation.
A 4-H Club:
- Is an organized group of youth.
- Has a planned program that is ongoing thoughout all or most of the year.
- Is advised by adult staff or volunteers.
- Typically elects officers.
- May meet in any location.
- Includes opportunities to learn skills through a wide variety of project experiences.
- Offers opportunities for leadership, citizenship/community service, and public speaking.
Steps in Establishing a 4-H Club
- Contact the county 4-H staff.
- Become a leader by attending local 4-H volunteer/leader training.
- Obtain county and state 4-H policies and guidelines.
- Assess youth, parent and community needs and interests.
- Recruit potential club members.
- Conduct an organizational meeting.
- Recruit project leaders and distribute curricula.
- Complete and submit enrollment and other appropriate reports.
- Assist with club by-laws preparation.
How Do We Recruit 4-H Members?
How Many Should We Have?
4-H clubs should have at least five members from 3 or more families. Some suggest that 6 to 10 members per adult leader is an optimum number. Limit your first group to a number with which you and your co-leaders feel comfortable!
Recruiting members is seldom hard to do. Start with a contact to your county Extension staff for names and ideas. You can always write newspaper articles, recruit at schools or church, or just talk up the club to parents and children you know.
Remember that 4-H must be available to all people equally without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, sex, age, or handicap.
How Do I Enroll My Members?
Washington State University Pierce County Extension uses 4honline for enrollment, please contact the local office. All 4-H members must re-enroll every year. Enrollment begins on October 1 and ends on April 30.