Master Gardener Volunteer Training
Have you always wanted to learn more about gardening, to meet new people and to make a difference in the community? Then the WSU Master Gardener Program might be right for your volunteer time. The process of becoming a WSU Master Gardener is a rewarding and educational endeavor.
Apply now for the class that begins in February 2023. Applications are due Jan. 23, 2023. Limited space is available, so don’t delay!
Here are the highlights of training:
- Training is offered one time per year, over 13 weeks, February through May. Classes will be done virtually in February and March before transitioning to in-person classes in April and May.
- Read the Cover Letter for the applications deadline and more information.
- The main component of the training program is online, with weekly classes taught by WSU Extension faculty and staff, Master Gardener volunteers, and other experts..
- Classes are on Tuesdays, from 5:30 to 8:30 p.m.
- Training is estimated to require 120 hours to complete. When satisfactorily completed, trainees become interns.
- Interns volunteer 55 hours and complete a Plant and Insect Clinic Internship to become Certified Master Gardeners.
- Certified Master Gardeners annually volunteer 35 hours and complete 15 hours of continuing education to remain in the program.
Master Gardener volunteer options
- diagnose plant problems in our diagnosis clinics
- educational outreach at events such as the Home & Garden Show, county fairs, farmers markets
- teach classes
- develop and maintain the Community Education Gardens at Springwater and Western avenues in Wenatchee, WA
- maintain our demonstration gardens, such as the riverside xeriscape demonstration garden at Riverfront Park in Wenatchee and the Pollinator Garden in Leavenworth
- teach children about gardening
- write gardening columns for the local newspaper column
- speak on radio and television
- projects of special interest to you
- help fundraising to support the Master Gardener program
Read the Letter for Prospective Volunteers. Complete the 2023 Master Gardener application and email it to firstname.lastname@example.org. Both documents can be found at the top right of this page.