Home food preservation can help make fruits, vegetables and food budgets last longer. After having your canner gauge tested, visit one of the many Farmers Markets in our region and start preserving local food from local farms.
Food Preservation Online Course
WSU Food Preservation Resources
When canning home-preserved foods use research-based, laboratory tested, up-to-date recipes from the resources on this page and in this brochure: WSU Extension Food Preservation Resources Brochure #C1117E
Food Preservation & Food Safety Resources
- USDA Complete Guide to Home Canning
- Steps in Food Preservation (video)
- So Easy to Preserve –The Book
- Ball Canning and Preserving
- National Center for Home Food Preservation
- Recommended Canners
- Food Safety in an Emergency
- Is the Food Still Safe When the Power Goes Out?
- USDA Dietary Guidelines for Americans
- Frequently Asked Questions – National Center for Home Food Preservation
Pressure Canner Dial Gauges should be tested once a year to be sure they are accurate. Weighted gauge canners do not need to be tested.
Locations for pressure gauge testing
Ajax Electric – 2911 1st Ave S, Seattle, WA 98134 (206) 622-9948
WSU Skagit County Extension – 11768 Westar Lane, Suite A Burlington, WA 98233, (360) 428-4270
Ace Hardware – 1420 Riverside Dr, Mt Vernon, WA 98273, (360) 428-6977