Sustainable Community Steward Training
You’ve heard it before: Reduce, Reuse, Recycle. There’s a reason for that order. The first step in reducing consumerism is to scale back on purchases. Clothes, furniture, bottles and bottle caps, all require petroleum to produce, which increases greenhouse emissions and contributes to climate change. Food and beverage packaging along with plastic bags and straws are also major role players in harming our ecological landscape. It’s up to each of us to decide how we can make a difference for ourselves and future generations.
Make a difference and become a Sustainable Community Steward!
During this engaging series, participants will learn best practices to be more environmentally, socially, and economically sustainable. The focus will include consumption and waste reduction as well as waste diversion through accurate recycling and composting systems.
- Increasing your knowledge of consumerism and how to live on one earth
- Understanding climate change, impacts, and solutions
- Ways to increase sustainable resource community engagement and action
Training content is centered on environment science and the most up-to-date climate change data. Relevant both locally and globally, this training will equip participants to be informed community educators. Participants will receive 24+ hours of University-level training. (No previous university education is required.)
Sample Sustainable Community Stewards Agenda: (Sessions are subject to change)
- Welcome and Overview of Sustainable Community Stewards Training
- Sustainability 101
- Where Waste Materials Management Meets Climate Change Impacts
- Zero Waste Update
- Focus on Food Waste and Foodcycling
- Proper Recycling and Waste Diversion
- Problem with Plastics and Recycling Beyond the Curb
- Sustainable Travel and Eco-Fashion Tips and Trends
- Communicating with your Community – Graduation!
Next offering fall 2023
“The Earth is what we all have in common.” —Wendell Berry