Dave’s Favorite VERTEBRATE MANAGEMENT LINKS
This page contains links outside Washington State University which provide an option for finding further information. No endorsement of products is implied nor of information at non-WSU sites. Regulations vary from State to State. Check with your County Extension office for local pesticide and/or trapping recommendations.
- In Washington State, it is illegal to use most kinds of body or foot-gripping traps, including common mole traps.
- SPECIAL FOR M.G.’S – Dr. Terry Salmon, University of Cal. Extension, presents “Vertebrate Management” lecture (website/video) to U.C. Master Gardeners. 2 Parts
- Extension Wildlife Species Information (website) – eXtension is an educational partnership of 74 universities in the United States.
- Internet Center for Wildlife Damage Management (website) – Contains the “Prevention and Control of Wildlife Damage (website)” handbook, links to many university fact sheets, a list of agencies that can help with wildlife problems, and much more.
- Living with Washington’s Wildlife (website) -Washington State Dept. of Fish and Wildlife. Includes information on dealing with many of Washington’s common pest species.
- Trapping Nuisance Wildlife (website)
- Hiring a Wildlife Damage Control Company (website)
- Evicting Animals from Buildings (website)
- Living with Wildlife (website)– (Oregon State Fish and Wildlife) Information on prevention and management of a variety of NW Wildlife problems. Includes opossum, raccoon, nutria and woodpecker in addition to the more common problem species.
- Wildlife Damage Inspection Process (website) – An Internet Center for Wildlife Damage Management “key.” Images of typical damage.
- University of Nebraska Wildlife Management Publications (website)
- Removing Skunk Odor (website) – U. of Nebraska Cooperative Extension
- Skunk Management Guidelines (website) – U. of California Davis)
- Ultrasonic and Subsonic Pest Control Devices (website) – Rutgers Cooperative Extension
- Nuisance Wildlife Repellent Handbook (pdf) – Minnesota DNR. Great information on deer, rabbit and bird repellents
- Selective Bird Feeding: Deterring Nuisance Wildlife from Bird Feeders (website) – (Especially Squirrels!) U. of Nebraska Extension
- Utah Vertebrate Animal Pest Control (website) – Utah Dept. of Agriculture, 97 pp. Large file!
- The Veterinarian’s Guide to Accidental Rodenticide Poisoning of Dogs and Cats (pdf) – Liphatech
- Human/Wildlife Conflicts – Russell Link, WDFW, for Greenbelt Consulting. ID and management of vertebrate-caused damage. Good list of resources. Some bad links.
- USDA APHIS Wildlife Services (website)
- How to Manage Pests in Landscapes, Gardens, and Turf (website) University of California. Good vertebrate section.
- Dog Urine Damage on Lawns: Causes, Cures and Prevention (pdf) – Colorado State U. Extension
- What IsTunneling In My Yard? (pdf) – WSU Fact Sheet FS143E
- WSU Extension Publications (website)
- Controlling Vole Damage (website) – Nebraska Extension
- Vole Management in Home Backyards and Gardens (website)– WSU Fact Sheet FS094E
- Voles – Integrated Pest Management (website) – WSU Whatcom Co. Extension
- Controlling Vole Damage to Conifer Seedlings (pdf) – Oregon State U. (PDF)
- Meadow Voles and Pocket Gophers: Management in Lawns, Gardens, and Cropland (pdf)– PNW 627. 16 pp.
- Attracting Birds of Prey for Rodent Control (pdf) – Oregon State (Note: the link to “Artificial Nesting Structures” (USDA Natural Resources Conservation Service) is dead. Updated link is HERE.
- Home Use “Gophercides” Registered for WA. 2013 (“All Years”) (pdf) – from the WSU Pesticide Information Center On Line database.
- Controlling House Mice (website– U. of Nebraska Cooperative Extension
- Bait Stations for Controlling Rats and Mice (website) – U. of Nebraska Cooperative Extension
- Roof Rat Control around Homes and Other Structures (website) (Arizona Cooperative Extension – PDF)
- Rodent-Proof Construction and Exclusion Methods (website)– From “Prevention and Control of Wildlife Damage”
- Rodenticides for Control of Norway Rats, etc. (website) – U.C. Davis Cooperative Extension
- “Rats” (website)– U.C. Davis. Covers both of our common species very well
- Non-Chemical Rodent Control (pdf) – U. of Nebraska
- Controlling Rodents in Commercial Poultry Facilities (pdf) – Purdue University Extension
- Controlling Rats and Mice Around Your Home (pdf) – ANR-0688; Alabama Cooperative Extension
- Bark Stripping by Fox, Gray and Ground Squirrels (website)– Internet Center for Wildlife Damage Management
- Rabbit and Hare Management in Washington Home Backyards and Gardens (website) – WSU Fact Sheet FS231E. PDF download.
- Cottontail Rabbits (website) – Penn State Extension
- Mountain Beaver (pdf) – “Prevention and Control Handbook” chapter. (Note: Conibear traps are not legal for general use in Washington State)
- Mountain Beaver: Identifying and Managing Damage to Forests (website) – EM9063. Oregon State U.
- Mountain Beaver (website) – WDFW “Living With Wildlife” series
- Mountain Beaver – Biological and Natural history info. (website)– ( U. of Michigan)
- Moles and Their Control (pdf) (U. of Nebraska -1. provides information on the EASTERN mole. Note that all body-gripping/piercing mole traps are illegal for catching animals in Washington as of Dec. 7, 2000 2. “Mole-Med” has not been proven on Western moles)
- Mole Management in Washington Backyards (website) – WSU Extension Home Garden Fact Sheet FS146E
- Moles and Holes (pdf) – WSU Snohomish Co. Fact Sheet #50
- Mole Control – A Historical Perspective (website) – Rex Marsh, U.C. Davis. 1996
- The Mole-Hill Gazette (website) – Snohomish County “mole news”. 2007-2016
- Bird Management Strategies for Small Fruits (pdf) – Cornell U. Extension. 13 pp.
- Birds on Tree Fruits and Vines (website) – U.C. Davis Extension
- Starlings and Their Control (website) (Alberta, CA. Ag.)
- Starling Management in Agriculture (pdf) -Nebraska Cooperative Extension NCR 451
- Canada Geese Damage Management (website) – Control Techniques-Internet Center for Wildlife Damage Management
- Managing Canada Geese in Urban Environments-A Technical Guide (website)-Cornell Cooperative Extension
- Canada Geese-Managing Conflicts in Illinois (pdf)-USDA Wildlife Services
- Preventing and Managing Waterfowl Damage (pdf) – USDA APHIS Wildlife Services
- Controlling Wild Birds Around Farm Buildings (website) – Penn State Extension
- Recognizing Sapsucker Damage to Your Trees (pdf) – WSU Fact Sheet FS057E
- Woodpecker and Sapsucker Management (pdf) – Kansas State University
- Preventing Woodpecker Damage (pdf) – Colorado State University
- Woodpeckers: Damage, Prevention and Control (website) – Cornell U.
- Deer Fences/Elk Fences (pdf) – Oregon State Fish and Wildlife
- Deer Damage Control for Landscape Plants (pdf) – A “Pro-IPM” fact sheet. Seattle.gov
- Deer Management Information (pdf) – ICWDM. Great info on fences, repellents and other university information on deer control
- WDFW “Living With Wildlife” Deer Page (website) – WA. Dept. of Fish and Wildlife. Russell Link
EPA Rodenticide Regulation Links
- Potential Risks of Nine Rodenticides to Birds and Nontarget Mammals: a Comparative Approach (wpd/doc) – E.P.A. report, July 2004
- Changes to Consumer Product Regulations (website)
- Rodenticide Risk Mitigation Decision – EPA 2012 Revision (pdf)
(Be advised that use of body, foot or leg-gripping traps/snares/deadfalls is NOT legal in WA. Permits can be obtained for limited use of some traps. See https://wdfw.wa.gov/licenses/hunting/trapping (website))
- Internet Center for Wildlife Damage Management– University of Nebraska. Excellent but recommendations must be cross-checked with Washington State regulations.
- Coyotes (website) – W.D.F.W. publication
- Urban and Suburban Coyotes (pdf) – USDA APHIS
- Evaluation of Suspected Predator Kills – Texas A&M
- Predator FAQ by Ronald Florence (website)
- Predation Control of Livestock (pdf) – UMass Extension
- Predator Control for Sustainable & Organic Livestock Production (website)– an ATTRA publication. Great links!
- Livestock Guardian Dogs (pdf) – Texas A&M
- Guidelines for Using Donkeys as Guard Animals with Sheep (website)-Ontario Ministry of Ag
- Trapping Depredating Coyotes (website) or Trapping Depredating Coyotes (pdf) (Colorado State U.) Check the laws of your state before trapping any animals)
- Building an Electric Antipredator Fence (pdf) – PNW 225 USDA APHIS Wildlife Services
- USDA Publications (website) . Includes “Livestock Guarding Dogs” (text or PDF), “Livestock Protection Collar” (text or pdf), “A Producers Guide to Preventing Predation on Livestock” (PDF) and many more.
Zoonosis: Vertebrate Vectored Diseases and Their Management
- Center for Disease Control (website) – Info. on Hanta Virus, Rabies, Plague, Lyme Disease, etc. ALL the info you would ever want to know about this stuff!
- Hantavirus (website) – Washington State Department of Health Public Health Fact Sheet.
- Hantavirus Pulmonary Syndrome Guidelines (pdf) – A more comprehensive fact sheet from W.D.O.H.
- EPM/Sarcocystis neuorna (website) – USDA Ag Research Service
- Equine Protozoal Myeloencephalitis (website) – Purdue University