4-H Entomology Web Sites
- 4-H Introduction to Entomology (pdf) -Mississippi State
- 4-H Entomology Project Unit 1 (website) – U. of Kentucky
- 4-H Entomology (website) – Purdue U.
- Insects Explained (website)
- Collecting and Preserving Insects and Mites Techniques and Tools-Systematic Entomology Laboratory (pdf)
- How to collect and preserve insects (website) -by Ross, Herbert Holdsworth, 1908
- Entomology Index of Internet Resources (website) – Iowa State U
- Colorado State U. Entomology (website) – Links to a lot of bug related pages
- Bugs of the Month (website) – Articles about Pacific Northwest Insects from Scarabogram newsletter of “Scarabs: The Bug Society”
- Bohart Museum of Entomology (website) – U.C. Davis. Information
- Introduction to the Identification of Insects and Related Arthropods (pdf) – P.M. Choate
- The Diptera Site (website) – Information about the World’s flies
- Dr. Elenor’s Book of Common Ants (pdf) – Good general information
- Anatomical Atlas of Flies (website)
- Slater Museum Dragonfly Page (Odonata) (website) – Dr. Dennis Paulson, University of Puget Sound . Field key and LOTS of images and other dragon info.
- A synopsis of common and economic Illinois ants, with keys to the genera (Hymenoptera, formicidae) (website) – Ross, Herbert Holdsworth, 1908-; Rotramel, George L.; LaBerge, Wallace E
- How to Use Keys to the Identification of Insects (including larvae/nymphs) to Order (website)
- Amateur Entomologist’s Society Bug Club (website)– United Kingdom
- Insects, Spiders, Mice & More (website) – University of Nebraska
- Butterflies and Moths of North America (website)
- Lepidoptera of the Pacific Northwest: Caterpillars and Adults (website) – USGS
- University of Michigan Insect Division (website)
- State Insects (website)
- Bug Book List for ID and Pleasure of Reading (website)
- The Coleoptera Home Page (website) – MUCH more than just beetles!
- – Cornell UniversityAsian Multi-colored Ladybeetle (pdf) – Now the most common in our area. – Cornell University
- Solitary Bees (website)
- The Food Insects Newsletter (website)
- K-12 Recommended Resources: Entomology (website) – Iowa State U.
- Entomological Society of America (website)
Sources of Equipment
- BioQuip Products (website)
- Home Science Tools (website) – Collecting supplies and books
- Ianni Butterfly Enterprises (website) (source of pins & some equipment; good guide on spreading leps and mounting beetles)
Rearing and Pet Links
- Caring for Invertebrates (website) – Includes information and care sheets for insects, arachnids and other kinds of arthropods
- Rearing and Experimenting with Isopods, Michigan Entomological Society (pdf)
- The Beetle Breeding Web (website) Rearing info for a number of the largest North American Beetles.
Prepared by Dave Pehling, Extension Analyst