Know Your Government 2020
Decision 2020: Use Your Voice, Cast Your Vote
February 15-18, 2020
This year, participants will explore political parties and the nomination process. During pre-conference orientation, participants will learn about different political parties, the nomination process, the development of resolutions that support planks that make up a party platform, and how to use parliamentary procedure when conducting a meeting. At the conference in February, delegates will nominate a KYG party candidate and finalize a KYG party platform to share with legislators at the Legislative Dinner on the final evening of the conference.
From pre-conference county meetings and conference participation, delegates will learn all or some of the following:
• Discover the purpose of political parties
• Identify parties that exist and what differentiates them
• Discuss what influences parties
• Learn and practice parliamentary procedure
• Learn about different voting systems and practice instant run-off voting and the electoral college
• Learn how to get a candidate elected through building support among peers
• Develop a platform by identifying issues of importance to youth and create resolutions to support those platform planks
• Strengthen focused life skills: Collaboration, Positive Civil Discourse/Conflict resolution, Positive Citizenship
2020 KYG Conference Schedule:
Olympia, WA. Students will room at the DoubleTree by Hilton in Olympia, though events will take place throughout the city.
KYG 2020 Conference Agenda (tentative)
– Curriculum 2020: Introduction
– Curriculum 2020: Meeting 1
– Curriculum 2020: Meeting 2
– Curriculum 2020: Meeting 3
– Curriculum 2020: Meeting 4
Conference Speakers to be announced. Check back for updates!