Download the 2022 Master Gardener event schedule here
Lectures and Workshops
Descriptions and Zoom links can be found on the online calendar. Recorded events will be archived on our website.
- Green Thumb Lectures cover general and unusual garden topics during the lunch hour. They are scheduled year round every 2nd and 4th Thursday of the month from 12 p.m. to 1 p.m. via Zoom only.
- Digging Deeper Educational Series cover basic gardening topics that are relevant to most home gardeners, and may include live demonstrations and expert speaker panels. Individual events will be held online or outside in person depending on conditions. Digging Deeper events take place on selected Saturdays from 10:30 a.m. to noon from February through September at the Woodcock Demonstration Garden.
- Master Gardeners arrange seminars in conjunction with the Soroptimist Gala Garden Show in Sequim, provide educational speakers for local garden and horticultural clubs, and prepare educational booths for the Clallam County Fair, and other events around the county.
Garden Programming for Kids
- Youth Enrichment Program (YEP) volunteers visit every second grade classroom in Clallam County each year. The star of the program is Herbie, the scarlet runner bean puppet, who grows from seed to bean plant before the student’s eyes. The program also includes posters, poems and planting seeds in a root viewer. The YEP program has been canceled for 2022 due to COVID-19.
- Master Gardener volunteers host a garden club at the The Boys and Girls Club of Sequim, and are helping to create a program at the Port Angeles branch in 2022.
- Master Gardener volunteers host a 4-H Garden Club at the Fifth St. Community Garden. Kids work alongside Master Gardeners to learn sustainable gardening methods and grow healthy fruits and vegetables.
- Master Gardeners visit local school gardens to teach classes, and consult about planting plans.
- Second Saturday Garden Walks are held on the second Saturday of each month from 10:00 to 11:30 a.m., April through September, at the 5th Street Community Garden (328 E. 5th St., Port Angeles). Each tour includes topics related to vegetable gardening, herbs, and other food crops that are tailored to what is happening in Clallam County gardens each month.
- Walkabouts at Woodcock are scheduled on the first Thursday of the month from June through September starting at 10:00 a.m. at the Woodcock Demonstration Garden (2711 Woodcock Rd., Sequim). These tours may be general “what’s new at Woodcock” tours, or they may focus on specific topics such as caring for mason bees or topics in the orchard.
In Print and on the Air
- Sequim Gazette “Get It Growing” garden column, weekly from March to October
- Radio talk on garden topics of particular interest is on two local radio stations:
- KONP (AM 1450 and FM 101.7): Airs on the last Monday of each month, 1-2 pm.
- KSQM (FM 91.5): Airs on Fridays, 6:40 am and repeats on Tuesdays, 11:40 am.
Rain Garden Mentors
Master Gardener Rain Garden Mentors work in partnership with the City of Port Angeles to reduce the combined sewer overflow problems in the Port Angeles Harbor through gardening. Mentors are available to help homeowners to assess their properties for rain garden installations. For more information about Rain Garden incentives through the City of Port Angeles, please visit their website on Rain Garden Rebates. To find out more about rain gardens please download the Rain Garden Handbook for Western Washington, visit the 12,000 Rain Gardens website, or the WSU rain garden home page.