Lectures and Workshops
- The Green Thumb Garden Tips lecture series runs year round every 2nd and 4th Thursday of the month from 12pm to 1 PM in the public meeting room at the Clallam County Courthouse in Port Angeles.
- The Saturdays at Woodcock lecture and workshop series at Woodcock takes place every other Saturday during the growing season, at the Woodcock Demonstration Garden, 2711 Woodcock Road in Sequim.
- Master Gardeners arrange a series of seminars in conjunction with the Soroptimist Gala Garden Show in Sequim, provide educational speakers for local garden and horticultural clubs, and prepare educational booths for the Clallam County Fair, and other events around town.
Garden Programming for Kids
- Youth Enrichment Program (YEP) volunteers visit every second grade classroom in Clallam County each year to teach students about how plants grow from seeds, and how plants make a difference to our every day life. Master Gardener volunteers present an interactive, introductory program on botany. The star of the program is Herbie, the scarlet runner bean puppet, who grows from seed to bean plant before the student’s eyes. The program also includes posters, poems and planting seeds in a root viewer! The root viewer is left in the classroom for students to watch and study. The program is celebrating Herbie’s 25th birthday in 2020, and now reaches over 650 students each year! Bring your kids to see Herbie at the Clallam County Fair, August 20-23 2020, or occasionally at Kids days at the Sequim Farmer’s Market!
- Master Gardener volunteers host a garden club at the The Boys and Girls Club of Sequim.
- Clallam County 4-H has a garden club that meets at the 5th Street Community Garden. Master Gardener volunteers teach sustainable garden lessons at each club meeting, and work alongside the kids to grow healthy fruits and vegetables.
- Second Saturday Garden Walks are held on the second Saturday of each month from April through September at the 5th Street Community Garden (328 E. 5th St., Port Angeles). The educational walks go from 10 – 11:30am. Topics related to vegetable gardening, herbs, and other food crops will be tailored to what is happening in Clallam County gardens each month. The dates for 2020 are April 11, May 9, June 13, July 11, August 8, and September 12.
In Print and on the Air
- Radio talk on garden topics of particular interest is on two local radio stations:
- KSQM (FM 91.5): Airs on Fridays, 6:40 am and repeats on Tuesdays, 11:40 am.
- KONP (AM 1450 and FM 101.7): Airs on the last Monday of each month, 1-2 pm.
Rain Garden Mentors
Master Gardener Rain Garden Mentors work in partnership with the City of Port Angeles to reduce the combined sewer overflow problems in the Port Angeles Harbor through gardening. Mentors are available to help homeowners to assess their properties for rain garden installations. For more information about Rain Garden incentives through the City of Port Angeles, please visit their website on Rain Garden Rebates. To find out more about rain gardens please download the Rain Garden Handbook for Western Washington, visit the 12,000 Rain Gardens website, or the WSU rain garden home page.
Clallam County Master Gardeners: Report Hours