Download a copy of our 2023 Event Schedule here.
Lectures and Workshops
- Green Thumb Lectures cover general and unusual garden topics during the lunch hour. They are scheduled year round every 2nd and 4th Thursday of the month from 12 p.m. to 1 p.m. in-person at listed venues and on Zoom. Please see our event schedule. Please enjoy our recorded presentations from last year.
- Digging Deeper Saturdays cover basic gardening topics that are relevant to most home gardeners, and may include live demonstrations and expert speaker panels. They are being held from 10:30 a.m. – 12:00 p.m. on the third Saturday of selected months at the Woodcock Demonstration Garden. In 2023 these will occur on May 20, July 15, August 19, and September 16. Plant Clinics also occur on Digging Deeper Saturdays, so please bring your gardening questions and problems. Please enjoy our recorded presentations from last year.
- Master Gardeners arrange seminars in conjunction with local organizations, provide educational speakers for local garden and horticultural clubs, and prepare educational booths for the Clallam County Fair, and other events around the county.
Garden Programming for Kids
- Youth Enrichment Program (YEP) volunteers visit every second grade classroom in Clallam County each year. The star of the program is Herbie, the scarlet runner bean puppet, who grows from seed to bean plant before the student’s eyes. The program also includes posters, poems and planting seeds in a root viewer. The YEP program is planning to resume in 2024.
- Master Gardener volunteers host a garden club at the The Boys and Girls Club of Sequim and The Boys and Girls Club of Port Angeles.
- Master Gardener volunteers host a 4-H Garden Club at the Fifth St. Community Garden. Kids work alongside Master Gardeners to learn sustainable gardening methods and grow healthy fruits and vegetables. If you’d like to learn more about 4H, please contact Clallam County 4H Coordinator Melanie Greer at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Master Gardeners visit local school gardens to teach classes, and consult with teachers on planting strategies.
- Second Saturday Garden Walks are held on the second Saturday of each month from 10:00 to 11:30 a.m., April through September, at the 5th Street Community Garden (328 E. 5th St., Port Angeles). Each tour includes topics related to vegetable gardening, herbs, and other food crops that are tailored to what is happening in Clallam County gardens each month.
- Walkabouts at Woodcock are scheduled on the first Thursday of the month from June through September starting at 10:00 a.m. at the Woodcock Demonstration Garden (2711 Woodcock Rd., Sequim). These tours may be general “what’s new at Woodcock” tours, or they may focus on specific topics such as caring for mason bees or topics in the orchard.
In Print and on the Air
- Sequim Gazette “Get It Growing” garden column, weekly from March to October
- Radio talk on garden topics of particular interest is on two local radio stations:
- KONP (AM 1450 and FM 101.7): Airs on the last Monday of each month, 1-2 pm.
- KSQM (FM 91.5): Airs on Fridays, 6:40 am and repeats on Tuesdays, 11:40 am.